Church of Saint-Cyr
|Region||Centre-Val de Loire|
|Intercommunality||Collines du Perche|
|• Mayor (20014–2020)||Jean Léger|
|42.61 km2 (16.45 sq mi)|
|• Density||25/km2 (64/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||78–202 m (256–663 ft) |
(avg. 90 m or 300 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
The commune is bathed by the Braye and the Grenne rivers, which join here before leading as the Braye to the Loir. The town is a part of the canton of Le Perche. It is bordered to the north by Cormenon, to the south by Savigny-sur-Braye, to the east by Épuisay and to the west by Saint-Calais.
Between 29 January and 8 February 1939, more than 3,100 Spanish refugees fleeing the collapse of the Spanish Republic under Franco, arrived in Loir-et-Cher. Faced with a lack of buildings to welcome them (the stud farm at Selles-sur-Cher had been used), 47 villages provide accommodation, including Sargé-sur-Braye. The refugees, essentially women and children, were subjected to a strict quarantine and vaccinated. Mail was limited. Supplies, though lacking variety and cooked the French way, were, however, assured. In the spring and summer, the refugees were regrouped at Bois-Brûlé (commune of Boisseau).
- Église Saint-Martin. This church been listed since 1958 as a historic monument by the French Ministry of Culture. Dating originally from the 10th century, its present form is from 1549. There are traces of 14th century painted murals.
- Église Saint-Cyr, and its jacquemart.
- Château des Radrets has been listed since 1977 as a monument historique. Parts of it date back to the 15th century; it was extensively altered in the 18th.
- Château de Montmarin has been listed since 1986 as a monument historique. Originally 17th century, it was altered in the 18th and 19th.
- Château du Fief Corbin
- Roussard quarry
- Jeanine Sodigné-Loustau, "L'accueil des réfugiés civils espagnols de 1936 à 1940. Un exemple : la région Centre", Matériaux pour l'histoire de notre temps. 1996, no 44. p. 43.
- Jeanine Sodigné-Loustau, op cit, p. 47.
- Jeanine Sodigné-Loustau, op cit, p. 43-44.
- Jeanine Sodigné-Loustau, op cit, p. 46.
- Ministry of Culture: Eglise Saint-Martin (in French)
- Ministry of Culture: Château des Radrets (in French)
- Ministry of Culture: Château de Montmarin (in French)
- Ministry of Culture listing for Eglise Saint-Martin (in French) and Ministry of Culture photo
- Ministry of Culture listing for Château des Radrets (in French) and Ministry of Culture photos
- Ministry of Culture listing and photo for Château de Montmarin (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sargé-sur-Braye.|