|[privately held company]|
|Industry||Cheese and food production, marketing|
|Founded||Plymouth, Wisconsin, 1953|
|Founder||Leonard Gentine and Joseph Sartori|
|Louis Gentine, CEO|
|Products||Packaged food, Dairy products|
|Revenue||Sales are over $1.3 billion annually|
|Owner||The Gentine family|
Number of employees
|1,800 (2016 estimate)|
Sargento Foods Inc. is an American food producer best known for its cheese. It was established in 1953 in Plymouth, Wisconsin by Leonard Gentine and Joseph Sartori. The company name is a combination of Sartori and Gentine, with an "o" added to make the name sound Italian, as the company specialized in Italian-style cheeses. Sargento is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States, and is one of the country's largest retail cheese companies. The company offers profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and benefits for its employees. The company has been a sponsor in American motorsports for many years; for example, it is prominently displayed on Road America raceway.
Sargento was the first company to sell packaged shredded cheese, and the first to develop zippered packaging for its cheeses. The company also produces and markets specialty cheeses, which it purveys on its website and in catalogs. Additional products include sauces, snack cheeses and snack foods, and the company also manufactures custom cheese and food products for corporate clients.
In early 2017, Sargento recalled seven cheeses for possible listeria contamination.
- Sargento Foods Inc. (2012). Pizza Recipes. Publications International. ISBN 1450852114
- Publications International Staff (2010). Sargento Mac and Cheese Recipes. Publications International, Limited. ISBN 1450801080
- Hintz, Martin; Percy, Pam (26 February 2008). "Wisconsin Cheese: A Cookbook and Guide to the Cheeses of Wisconsin". Rowman & Littlefield. Retrieved 28 April 2018 – via Google Books.
- Hildebrand, Janice (1 January 1988). "Sheboygan County: 150 Years of Progress : an Illustrated History". Windsor Publications. Retrieved 28 April 2018 – via Google Books.
- "Hall of Fame honors for Sargento's founder; DMI, Bai Brands make executive appointments". Dairy Foods Magazine. July 29, 2016. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- Hajewski, Doris (May 22, 2010). "Saying 'cheese' with a genuine smile". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- Wisconsin Cheese: A Cookbook and Guide to the Cheeses of Wisconsin - Martin Hintz, Pam Percy. p. 248.
- Plymouth. p. 67.
- The Leadership Experience - Richard L. Daft. p. 436.
- "Welcome to Road America Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc". www.roadamerica.com. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "Photo by D N". Photobucket. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- Ltd, Plunkett Research (28 April 2018). "Plunkett's Food Industry Almanac 2008: Food Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies". Plunkett Research, Ltd. Retrieved 28 April 2018 – via Google Books.
- Hoover, Gary; Hoover's (28 April 2018). "Hoover's MasterList of Major U.S. Companies". Reference Press. Retrieved 28 April 2018 – via Google Books.
- Plunketts Food Industry Almanac 2008: The Only Comprehensive Guide to Food Companies and Trends. p. 483.
- Conlon, Kevin; Gatewood, Johanzynn (February 14, 2017). "Listeria-related cheese recall expands". CNN. Retrieved August 28, 2017.