|City District / Divisional Capital|
|• Commissioner||Captain Muhammad Asif|
|• Total||5,854 km2 (2,260 sq mi)|
|• Rank||11th (Pakistan)|
|• Density||260/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|Number of towns||59|
|Number of union councils||22|
Sargodha (Punjabi and Urdu: سرگودھا) is the 11th largest city in Pakistan with a population of 1.5 million. It is also an administrative centre of Sargodha Division located in the Punjab province, Pakistan and one of the fastest growing cities in Pakistan.
The origins of this city are quite old but the proper town was established by the British in 1903. Although it was a small town in the beginning, the British Royal Air Force built an airport here due to its strategic location.
Sargodha is located 172 kilometres northwest of Lahore, in Sargodha District. It lies about 30 miles from the M-2 motorway, which connects Lahore and Islamabad. It is connected to the M-2 by several interchanges at different locations. Sargodha is roughly 94 km from Faisalabad, due southeast. Directly east connected by the M-2 motorway are Lahore and the route to Rawalpindi and Islamabad. Due east is the city of Jhang; toward the west are the city of Mianwali and the Chashma Barrage. Dera Ismail Khan is located 232 km southwest from the city.
Sargodha mainly comprises flat, fertile plains, although here are a few small hills on the Sargodha-Faisalabad Road. The River Jhelum flows on the western and northern sides, and the River Chenab lies on the eastern side of the city.
The city has a climate of extreme heat in the summers and moderate cold in the winters. The maximum temperature reaches 50 °C (122 °F) in the summer while the minimum temperature recorded is as low as freezing point in the winter.
|Climate data for Sargodha (1960–2012)|
|Average high °C (°F)||20
|Average low °C (°F)||8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||18
|Average precipitation days (≥ 1.0 mm)||5||4||5||4||3||3||7||7||4||1||1||1||45|
Sargodha is the capital of Sargodha Tehsil. As of October 2012, the division system in Punjab Province has been restored and Sargodha became the divisional headquarters of districts Sargodha, Khushab, Mianwali and Bhakkar. The city of Sargodha is administratively subdivided into 22 union councils.
Sargodha lies about 30 miles (48 km) from the M-2 motorway which connects Lahore and Islamabad. It is also connected to Faisalabad by a highway. Daewoo Bus Service drives regular routes from Sargodha to the rest of the country.
Pakistan's largest airbase, PAF Base Mushaf (formerly PAF Base Sargodha), is situated in Sargodha and hosts the headquarters of the Pakistan Air Force's Central Air Command. The airbase is also home to the Combat Commanders School (CCS), formerly the Fighter Leader's School.
- University of Sargodha
- Sargodha Medical College
- Quaid-e-Azam Law College
- Greenfield College Sargodha
- Airbase Inter College
- Sargodha Institute of Technology
- PAF Public School, Sargodha
- Feroz Khan Noon, former Prime Minister Pakistan
- Anwer Ali Noon, former Parliamentarian of Pakistan and army Officer
- Amjad Ali Noon, former Ambassador/High Commissioner of Pakistan
- Imtiaz Bhatti, former Ambassador / High Commissioner of Pakistan
- Wazir Agha, Urdu Scholar
- Hameed Gul, former ISI Chief
- Ch. Anwar Ali Cheema, politician, PML-Q
- Ch.Ghias Mela, politician, PML-Q
- Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, Amir Jama'at-ud-Da'wah
- Mohammad Hafeez, cricketer
- Aizaz Cheema, cricketer
- Rafiq Anjum, actor
- Jahanzeb Qamar, television writer
- "Sargodha Division". getamap.net.
- "Population size and growth of major cities" (PDF). Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. 1998.
- "Pakistan Post Office Department". Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "National Dialing Codes". Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "Commercial Real Estate Property in Sargodha Pakistan - Ghar47". Ghar47. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "TDCP (Tourism Development Corporation of Punjab) > Explore Pakistan > About Punjab > Major Cities > Sargodha". tdcp.gop.pk.
- "District Website". lhc.gov.pk.
- "District at Glance". sargodha.gop.pk.
- "Weather2 – Sargodha". Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Tehsils & Unions in the District of Sargodha - Government of Pakistan". Nrb.gov.pk. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Pakistan Railway Time Table". railpk.com.
- "Sports Stadium - Pakistan - Cricket Grounds - ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo.
- "About Sargodha". glowpakistan.com.