|Operator(s)||Hobbs (?–2011) |
Holiday Let (2011–)
|Base storeys||Two-storey base|
|No. of sails||Four|
|Type of sails||Double Patent sails|
|Fantail blades||Six bladed|
|Auxiliary power||Steam engine 1861–1920|
Gas engine 1920–1940
|No. of pairs of millstones||Two pairs|
|Other information||The first windmill in Kent to have a steam engine as auxiliary power.|
Sarre windmill was built in 1820 by the Canterbury millwright John Holman. It was said to have been moved from Monkton, but it is more likely to have had some machinery from that mill included in its construction. It was marked on the 1819-43 Ordnance Survey map. Sarre mill was originally built with a single-storey brick base, but in 1856 the base was raised to 14 feet (4.27 m) high, with an extra storey built under it. Sarre mill was the first windmill in Kent to have a steam engine installed as auxiliary power. This was added in 1861. The mill was worked by wind until 1920, when the sails were taken down, and installed on the Union Mill, Cranbrook and a gas engine was fitted. The mill worked for a few years longer powered by the gas engine, but had ceased milling by the early 1930s. The mill was recommissioned in the late 1930s, again powered by the gas engine, before finally stopping in 1940 as the engine had been damaged by frost in the severe winter that year. The mill was used as an observation post during the Second World War. The mill remained semi-derelict until 1986, when restoration was started, being completed in 1991. The mill is currently closed as of November 2018.
Sarre windmill is a three-storey smock mill on a two-storey brick base. It has four double patent sails carried on a cast-iron windshaft. The mill is winded by a fantail. The Brake Wheel is a composite one, with iron arms and a wooden rim. This drives a cast-iron Wallower. The Great Spur Wheel is also of cast iron. The mill drives two pairs of millstones, overdrift.
- Thomas Holman 1845 - 1862
- George Thomas Steddy 1878
- Ebenezer Wood 1880 - 1883
- Gambrill - 1940
- Malcolm Hobbs 1991 -
- Robert Hobbs 1991 -
- "SARRE MILL, CANTERBURY ROAD (south side), SARRE, THANET, KENT". English Heritage. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Coles Finch, William (1933). Watermills and Windmills. London: C W Daniel Company. p. 272.
- "Sarre Mill - a history". Sarre mill. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Bygone Kent. Volume. Rainham: Meresborough Books. 17 (1): 29–33. January 1996. Missing or empty
- West, Jenny (1973). The Windmills of Kent. London: Charles Skilton Ltd. pp. 68–71. ISBN 0284-98534-1.
- "Directory of Kent Mill People". The Mills Archive Trust. Archived from the original on 2009-04-16. Retrieved 2008-04-19.