This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sarrià-Sant Gervasi (Catalan pronunciation: [səriˈa ˈsaɲ ʒərˈβazi]) is one of the biggest districts of Barcelona, situated on the north-west of the city, surrounded by the districts of Les Corts, Gràcia, and Eixample i Horta-Guinardo and by the villages of Sant Just, Sant Feliu, Molins de Rei, and Sant Cugat. It is formed by the old villages of Sarrià (added to Barcelona in 1927), Vallvidrera (added to Sarrià in 1890), Santa Creu d'Olorda (added to Sarrià in 1916), and Sant Gervasi ("Saint Gervasius") de Cassoles (added to Barcelona in 1897). The first written document found about Sarrià dates from the year 987, and the origins of the village are a Roman colony. The old Monestir de Pedralbes belonged to the village of Sarrià, and it is now the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza.
The main market in Sarrià-Sant Gervasi is the Mercat de Sarrià on Passeig Reina Elisenda, which opened in 1900 and was renovated in 1967 and again in 2007.
Part of the Collserola mountain belongs to the district, where the Tibidabo and the Observatori Fabra are, and it is a popular place to promenade by bike or by foot or to stop by the road to Sant Cugat, with impressive views over the city.
It is divided in these neighbourhoods (some of them include traditional or non-administrative neighbourhoods):
- El Putget i Farró
- Sant Gervasi - la Bonanova
- Sant Gervasi - Galvany
- les Tres Torres
- Vallvidrera, Tibidabo i les Planes
The preschool through lower secondary campus of Istituto Italiano Statale Comprensivo di Barcellona, an Italian international school, is in Sarrià.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarrià-Sant Gervasi District.|
- "Sarrià". Barcelonaturisme.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Sarrià Market". Barcelonaturisme.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Home." Istituto Italiano Statale Comprensivo di Barcellona. Retrieved on October 19, 2015. "Sede e Liceo: Pasaje Méndez Vigo, 8 - 08009 Barcellona - Spagna" and "Scuola secondaria di 1º grado, Scuola primaria, Scuola dell'infanzia: C/. Setantí, 10-12 (Sarrià) Barcellona - Spagna"