Sarvam Thaala Mayam
|Sarvam Thaala Mayam|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rajiv Menon|
|Produced by||Latha Menon|
|Written by||Rajiv Menon|
|Starring||G. V. Prakash Kumar |
|Music by||Original Songs:|
A. R. Rahman
A. R. Rahman
|Distributed by||Jio Studios|
Sakthi Film Factory
|1 February 2019|
Sarvam Thaala Mayam (transl. Omnipresence of Rhythm), also titled Madras Beats, is a 2019 Tamil-language musical drama film written and directed by Rajiv Menon. The film stars G. V. Prakash Kumar and Aparna Balamurali in the lead roles, with a supporting cast including Nedumudi Venu, Vineeth, Kumaravel, Santha Dhananjayan, and Dhivyadharshini. The film features music composed by A. R. Rahman, cinematography by Ravi Yadav, and editing by Anthony.
Returning to direction after 19 years, Menon makes a solid comeback with a film that is relevant, entertaining, and inspirational in parts. Sarvam Thaala Mayam works fittingly. The film released on 1 February 2019. The film was a box office success.
Menon's film is a musical drama where the worlds of a renowned mridangam player named Vembu Iyer (Nedumudi Venu); an expert mridangam maker named Johnson (Kumaravel); and the latter's son Peter Johnson (G. V. Prakash Kumar), a crazy Thalapathy Vijay fan, collide. The events that follow form the crux of the story.
- G. V. Prakash Kumar as Peter Johnson
- Nedumudi Venu as Vembhu Iyer/Syama Sastry (Telugu dubbed version)
- Aparna Balamurali as Sara
- Dhivyadharshini as Anjana
- Vineeth as Mani
- Kumaravel as Johnson
- Raviprakash as Krish Gopalakrishnan, Nandu's father
- Sumesh Narayanan as Nandagopal ('Nandu')
- Aadhira Pandilakshmi as Theresa Johnson
- Santha Dhananjayan as Abhirami
- G. Marimuthu as Police Officer
- Bala Singh as Gokul Raj
- Sandy Master in a special appearance
- Unni Krishnan as Himself (Cameo appearance)
- Srinivas as Himself (Cameo appearance)
- Karthik as Himself (Cameo appearance)
- Sikkil Gurucharan as Vedaraman (Cameo appearance)
- Bombay Jayashri as Herself (Cameo appearance)
In March 2016, it was widely reported in the media that Rajiv Menon would begin work on his third directorial venture, after he had taken a sabbatical from the profession following the release of his previous film, Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000). Titled Sarvam Thaala Mayam, G. V. Prakash Kumar was signed on to play the lead role of a percussionist in the film, while A. R. Rahman was selected to compose the film's music. Pre-production work took place in mid-2016, and the team finalised Sai Pallavi to play the female lead role. Other actors including Nedumudi Venu and Cheenu Mohan were also approached to play key roles in the film, but production failed to take off in November 2016 as planned and the project was delayed.
In March 2017, Menon denied that the film was dropped and noted that a promotional photo shoot with Prakash Kumar was imminent. Prakash Kumar revealed that the story was set in two states and was inspired by incidents from the lives of real musicians. During the period, Prakash Kumar also took professional mridangam lessons from percussionist Umayalpuram Sivaraman to equip himself for the character. After further brief delays, the film was officially launched on 29 November 2017 and the shoot began thereafter. Sai Pallavi's unavailability meant that the team replaced her with Aparna Balamurali, after Menon was impressed with her performance in the Malayalam film, Maheshinte Prathikaaram (2016), and called her for a successful audition. An ensemble cast of Nedumudi Venu, Santha Dhananjayan, Vineeth, Kumaravel, Sumesh and Athira was also announced with the launch, while Ravi Yadav and Anthony were confirmed as the film's cinematographer and editor respectively. Actress Dhivyadharshini also later joined the film during the first schedule, which carried on until the end of 2017.
Awards and nomination
- MSF Nalli Film Award For Best Actor, G. V. Prakash Kumar[self-published source?]
- Provoke Magazine Award For Best Actor, G. V. Prakash Kumar[self-published source?]
- "Sarvam Thaala Mayam wasn't an easy film to make: Rajiv Menon". The Indian Express. 6 February 2019. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Filmmaker Rajeev Menon on cloud nine after success of Sarvam Thaalamayam". zeenews.india.com. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "AR Rahman to compose music for GV Prakash's next". behindwoods.com. 17 March 2016.
- "GV Prakash to play a drummer in Rajiv Menon's film!". sify.com.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (16 November 2016). "Sarvam Thaala Mayam is the title of GV Prakash, Rajiv Menon's film". ibtimes.co.in.
- "GV Prakash-Rajiv Menon movie to kickstart shoot from 15th November". behindwoods.com. 6 October 2016.
- "Clarification on Rajiv Menon-GV Prakash's Sarvam Thaala Mayam". behindwoods.com. 17 March 2017.
- "I feel honoured to be chosen by top directors: GV Prakash". deccanchronicle.com. 7 March 2017.
- "GV Prakash takes professional Mridangam lessons for his Rajiv Menon film". behindwoods.com. 6 March 2017.
- "Aparna Balamurali signs Rajiv Menon's film". cinemaexpress.com.
- "G V Prakash starts shooting for AR Rahman musical Sarvam Thaalamayam". newindianexpress.com.
- "G.V.Prakash-A.R. Rahman movie begins shoot - Full details - Tamil Movie News - IndiaGlitz.com". indiaglitz.com. 29 November 2017.
- "VJ DhivyaDharshini aka DD to act in Sarvam Thaala Mayam". behindwoods.com. 29 November 2017.
- G.V.Prakash Kumar [@gvprakash] (24 August 2019). "Thanks to the almighty ... thanks madras film society for giving me the Best Actor (Male) Award for #SarvamThaalaMayam & #Naachiyar at the MFS Nalli Film Awards 2018, Thanks @DirRajivMenon sir, #Bala sir , @arrahman sir and the entire crew of #sarvamthaalamayam and #naachiyaar" (Tweet). Retrieved 28 August 2019 – via Twitter.
- G.V.Prakash Kumar [@gvprakash] (7 August 2019). "இறைவனுக்கு நன்றி Thanks #provoke magazine awards for giving me the best actor award for #sarvamthaalamayam thanks @DirRajivMenon sir for trusting me with #STM thanks @arrahman sir , Latha Menon mam, @UKS_Mrudangam sir and the entire cast and crew...thanks #peterjonson❤️" (Tweet). Retrieved 27 August 2019 – via Twitter.