|Intercommunality||Presqu'île de Rhuys|
|• Mayor (2008—2014)||David Lappartient|
|Area1||60.23 km2 (23.25 sq mi)|
|• Density||120/km2 (300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||56240 /56370|
|Elevation||0–42 m (0–138 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The area around the Morbihan has been occupied since neolithic times. Prehistoric monuments remaining include the menhirs of Kermaillard and Largueven, as well as the dolmens of Kergillet and Brillac. The town itself was first mentioned in the 11th century in reference to an abbey at the site . The nearby Château de Suscinio was built in the 13th century and fortified in the 15th century. The castle was a favorite spot of the Dukes of Brittany who often came for the hunting in the surrounding region . During the Middle Ages, because of its size the town was divided into seven local divisions, a situation that still exists to some extent. The town officially became a commune during the French Revolution. Birthplace of: Alain-René Lesage the Author of Gil Blas.
- The Château de Suscinio is a 13th-century castle that has recently been restored. Inside there is also a museum on the history of the area.
- The Château de Kerlevenan is an 18th-century castle with large gardens.
- Museum of Arts et Métiers and Cider Museum.
- Menhirs of Kermaillard and Largueven, and the dolmens of Kergillet and Brillac.
- Beaches, especially along the Atlantic side.
Inhabitants of Sarzeau are called in French Sarzeautins.
The municipality launched a linguistic plan through Ya d'ar brezhoneg on December the 20th of 2006.
In 2008, there was 4,59% of the children attended the bilingual schools in primary education.
- (French) Ofis ar Brezhoneg: Enseignement bilingue
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarzeau.|
- French Ministry of Culture list for Sarzeau (French)
- Map of Sarzeau on Michelin (English)
- Château de Suscinio
- Museums around Sarzeau
|This Morbihan geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|