Sasha Dobson (left) in 2009
March 31, 1979 |
Santa Cruz, California
|Labels||Secret Sun Recordings, Blue Note Records|
|Associated acts||Puss n Boots|
Dobson comes from a musical family. Her father, Smith Dobson (Smith Weed Dobson IV, 1947–2001) was a pianist who recorded with Mark Murphy and played regularly with vibist Bobby Hutcherson. Her mother Gail is also a singer, and her brother Smith (Smith Weed Dobson V) is a tenor saxophonist, drummer, and vibraphonist. The entire family performed at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1991, when Sasha was twelve.
Her debut album, Modern Romance, was released in August 2006 on Jesse Harris's Secret Sun Recordings label. Dobson participated in Norah Jones' The Fall tour, providing guitar and percussion accompaniment as well as vocal harmonies. She was also the opening act on the tour. Her second full album, Aquarius, was released in 2013. Dobson is also a member of an all-female trio Puss n Boots with Jones and Catherine Popper, whose debut album was released on July 15, 2014, through Blue Note Records.
- The Darkling Thrush - Sasha Dobson with The Chris Byars Octet (2004)
- Modern Romance (2006)
- Burn [EP] (2010)
- Aquarius (2013)
- Into the Trees [EP] (2014)
With Puss n Boots
- No Fools, No Fun (2014)
- California Births, 1905 - 1995 Sasha Elise Dobson
- "PUSS N BOOTS ANNOUNCE DEBUT ALBUM "NO FOOLS, NO FUN" & TOUR DATES INCLUDING NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL". Blue Note Records. April 21, 2014. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "Sasha Dobson's Journey Out Of Jazz And Into Songwriting". NPR. June 29, 2013. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "You guys I AM SO STOKED to share: I was... - Sasha Dobson - Official Fan Page | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sasha Dobson.|
|This article about a jazz singer from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|