Pieterse at the Pretty Little Liars event at PaleyFest in March 2014
February 17, 1996 |
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
|Occupation||Actress, singer-songwriter, model|
|Genres||Country, southern rock, country rock|
|Labels||Dan Franklin Music|
|Associated acts||Dan Franklin|
Sasha Pieterse (born February 17, 1996) is a South African-born American actress and singer-songwriter. She landed her first major role at the age of thirteen, as Alison DiLaurentis on ABC Family's series Pretty Little Liars, becoming the youngest cast member. Upon the success of the series, Pieterse earned a supporting role as Amy Loubalu in the 2011 Disney Channel film Geek Charming. In 2013, she starred in the teen comedy film G.B.F. which became a commercial and critical success.
Pieterse was born in Johannesburg, South Africa on February 17, 1996. Moving to the United States when she was three years old, she was raised in Las Vegas, before moving to Los Angeles. She became accustomed to a career in entertainment at an early age, as her parents were a professional acrobatic dance team who performed internationally. Pieterse was homeschooled and graduated at 14. She soon met with an agent who quickly signed her to an acting and modeling contract. Pieterse got her start in the business at the age of four, when she began working on commercials and print work. Pieterse has done numerous television commercials, including long-running national spots for Nesquick and Firestone.
When Pieterse was younger, she was featured on a national billboard for Supercuts, and modeled in the Macy's Passport Fashion Show, performing throughout California. Pieterse was featured on the cover of BELLO magazine "Young Hollywood", December 2014 issue. Pieterse appeared on the cover of the 2015 issue of TeenProm magazine.
At six years old, Pieterse got her start in television, co-starring in 2002 as Buffy on the Warner Bros comedy series Family Affair. In 2005, she appeared on an episode of House titled "Autopsy", portraying Andie, a young girl with terminal cancer. That same year, she made her film debut in The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D as Marissa, the Ice Princess, and also appeared as Millie Rose for two episodes of the short-lived TNT series Wanted, alongside her former Family Affair co-star, Gary Cole.
Pieterse appeared in the 2007 film Good Luck Chuck, playing a young goth girl who places a curse on the titular character. She played the younger version of Sarah Michelle Gellar's character in the 2007 film The Air I Breathe, along with such co-stars as Kevin Bacon, Forest Whitaker, and Emile Hirsch. She also played a leading character in the Hallmark original film Claire, also released in 2007.
In December 2009, Pieterse was cast in the ABC Family series Pretty Little Liars as Alison DiLaurentis, the former "queen bee" of her high school clique. She has had a regular role in the series since its premiere on June 8, 2010. In June 2014, Pretty Little Liars was renewed for a sixth and seventh season.
Other roles Pieterse has had include a 2009 appearance in Without a Trace, and a recurring role as Amanda Strazzulla, an abandoned daughter, in Heroes. In 2011, she appeared as Amy Loubalu in the Disney Channel Original Movie Geek Charming, and also as a teenage girl in the film X-Men: First Class. More recently, Pieterse has appeared in the film G.B.F. and in an episode of Hawaii Five-0 as a terrorist pupil named Dawn Hatfield. Pieterse played Japonica Fenway, a young lady involved with cocaine, in the film Inherent Vice (2014), based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Pynchon.
Pieterse describes her music as "country with southern rock". Pieterse was signed to record label Dan Franklin Music. Her debut single "This Country is Bad Ass" was released on April 12, 2013. Pieterse described the patriotism behind the song: “I just love this country so much and I would never have been able to be where I am if I wasn't in America, so we decided to come up with this [track].” Her second single, "R.P.M", was released on June 13, 2013.
Her third single, "I Can't Fix You", was released on July 12, 2013. On December 10, 2013, she released her fourth single "No", an upbeat track about "standing strong in your convictions" and saying no when an unfaithful, lying ex-boyfriend asks for a second chance.
|2005||Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D, TheThe Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D||Marissa Electricidad/Ice Princess|
|2007||Air I Breathe, TheThe Air I Breathe||Young Sorrow|
|2007||Good Luck Chuck||Young Anisha Carpenter|
|2011||X-Men: First Class||Teenage girl|
|2014||Inherent Vice||Japonica Fenway|
|2015||Burning Bodhi||Aria||In post-production|
|2002–03||Family Affair||Buffy Davis||Main cast; 14 episodes|
|2004||Stargate SG-1||Grace||Episode: "Grace"|
|2005||Wanted||Millie Rose||2 episodes|
|2007||CSI: Miami||Beth Buckley||Episode: "Stand Your Ground"|
|2007||Claire||Maggie Bannion||Hallmark Channel Original Movie|
|2009||Without a Trace||Daphne Stevens||Episode: "Wanted"|
|2009–10||Heroes||Amanda Strazzulla||5 episodes|
|2010–present||Pretty Little Liars||Alison DiLaurentis||Main cast|
|2011||Medium||14-year-old Marie DuBois||Episode: "Me Without You"|
|2011||Geek Charming||Amy Loubalu||Disney Channel Original Movie|
|2014||Hawaii Five-0||Dawn Hatfield||Episode: "Pe'epe'e Kanaka"|
|2015||Hot in Cleveland||Maria||1 episode|
|2009||Slow Burn||Amanda Strazzulla||6 episodes|
|2013||"Rewind"||Skye Stevens||Love interest of singer|
Awards and nominations
|2003||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a TV Series (Comedy or Drama) – Young Actress Age Ten or Younger||Family Affair||Won|
|2003||Young Artist Award||Best Ensemble in a TV Series (Comedy or Drama)
(shared with Caitlin Wachs and Jimmy "Jax" Pinchak)
|2014||Teen Choice Award||Choice TV Female Breakout Star||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2015||Independent Spirit Award||Robert Altman Award
(shared with director, casting director, and cast)
- "Sweet Sixteen: Happy Birthday Wishes for Pretty Little Liars Star Sasha Pieterse". Alloy Entertainment. February 17, 2012.
- "TheSashaPietersePage/info". Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Pieterse, Sasha. "Alison Dilaurentis by Sasha Pieterse - ABC Family". ABCFamily. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Elizabeth, Emilie; Levine, Tamar. "Sasha Pieterse By Tamar Levine & Emilie Elizabeth For Bello Mag Beauty". Bello Magazine. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 6, 2009). "Laura Leighton joins 'Pretty Little Liars'". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- Sandra Gonzalez (June 10, 2014). "'Pretty Little Liars' Renewed for 2 More Seasons". Mashable.
- ""Without a Trace" Wanted (TV Episode 2009)". IMDb.
- "Amanda Strazzulla (Character)". IMDb.
- McNary, Dave (June 20, 2013). "‘Pretty Little Liars’ Actress Sasha Pieterse Boards ‘Inherent Vice’". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved September 21, 2014.
- "Sasha Pieterse's debut Single "This Country is Bad Ass" today". Alloy Entertainment. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "R.P.M. - Single". iTunes. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "I Can't Fix You - Single". iTunes. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Sasha Pieterse " I Can't Fix You" inspiration". Alloy Entertainment. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Theo (January 3, 2014). "Sasha Pieterse Releases Country Song "No": Music & Lyrics". Alloy Entertainment. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "No - Single - Sasha Pieterse". Itunes. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Winners of "Teen Choice 2014" Announced". Teen Choice Awards. August 10, 2014. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sasha Pieterse.|