Roiz at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con
October 21, 1973 |
Tel Aviv, Israel
Sasha Roiz (born October 21, 1973) is an Israeli-Canadian actor. He is best known for his portrayals of Sam Adama in the science fiction television series Caprica and Captain Sean Renard in the American dark fantasy television series Grimm.
Roiz was born in Tel Aviv to Russian Jewish parents. The family moved to Montreal in 1980. Roiz studied history before joining a theatre school in Montreal. He later graduated from the Guildford School of Acting in Guildford, Surrey.
Roiz has appeared in a number of popular television dramas, including CSI: Miami, House, NCIS, The Mentalist, Lie To Me and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. He had a recurring role on Warehouse 13 as Marcus Diamond.
In 2008, Roiz landed the role of Sam Adama on Caprica, a spin-off of Battlestar Galactica. His character is a Tauron enforcer for the Ha'la'tha crime syndicate on Caprica. Sam frequently goes head to head with his lawyer brother Joseph Adama, played by Esai Morales. His character is also the uncle of William Adama. On April 28, 2009, his role was expanded to series regular. Roiz stated in an interview that it was later revealed to him that his character would be gay, something he felt was an opportunity to explore the dynamic relationship of a gay character in a science fiction setting, as well as to explore the issue of homosexuality on a social level. In 2012, he guest-starred in the second season of the Jane Espenson scripted romantic comedy web series, Husbands.
|2004||The Day After Tomorrow||Parker|
|2005||Assault on Precinct 13||Jason Elias|
|2005||Land of the Dead||Manolete|
|2006||16 Blocks||Det. Kaller|
|2006||Man of the Year||Donald Tilson|
|2001||Largo Winch||Sergei||Episode: "Endgame"|
|2003||Playmakers||Stephen Lyles||6 episodes|
|2003||Mutant X||Nathaniel||Episode: "Wasteland"|
|2004||Missing||Randall Markham||Episode: "In the Midnight Hour"|
|2004||Kevin Hill||Nick Bratt||Episode: "Gods and Monsters"|
"Nobody Ever Listens"
|2005||Show Me Yours||Chazz Banks||8 episodes|
|2005||Beautiful People||Mr. Tabor||Episodes:
"Point and Shoot"
|2006||The Jane Show||Ted||Episodes:
"Thursday Night Rules"
|2006||The Path to 9/11||Nick Demoia||TV mini-series|
|2007||Jeff Ltd.||Taylor Bloom||Episodes:
"In the End You Get What You Deserve"
"Body by Jeff"
"Nightmare on Stevens Street"
|2007||NCIS||NCIS Agent Rick Hall||Episode: "Grace Period"|
|2007||CSI: Miami||Darren Butler||Episode: "Guerillas in the Mist"|
|2007||Across the River to Motor City||Ben Ford||Series regular|
|2008||Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles||Police Officer||Episode: "Gnothi Seauton"|
|2008||Victor (2008 film)||Alex Baumann||TV movie about late Canadian swimmer Victor Davis|
|2009||Lie To Me||Captain David Markov||Episode: "A Perfect Score"|
|2009||The Mentalist||Keith Wolcutt||Episode: "Crimson Casanova"|
|2010||In Plain Sight||Anton Ivanov||Episode: "Love's Faber Lost"|
|2010||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Danny Macklin||Episode: "Pool Shark"|
|2010||Caprica||Sam Adama||Series regular|
|2011||House||Driscoll||Episode: "Carrot or Stick"|
|2011||Castle||Bobby Stark||Episode: "Pretty Dead"|
|2011||Warehouse 13||Marcus Diamond||7 episodes|
|2011||It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia||Adriano Calvanese||Episodes:
"The High School Reunion"
"The High School Reunion Part 2: The Gang's Revenge"
|2011–present||Grimm||Captain Sean Renard||Series regular|
|2012||Husbands||Photog||Episode: "Appropriate Is Not the Word"|
|2009||The Godfather II||Don Esteban Almeida||Voice|
|2009||Wolfenstein||Pavel Cherny/Black Market Agent||Voice|
- Biography at TV.com
- Sasha Roiz at the CapricaShow.com
- Kates, Kathryn. "Jaffa-born actor stars in CityTV mini-series". The Canadian Jewish News. Archived from the original on May 8, 2009. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Bio at BuddyTV
- Hinman, Michael (July 26, 2011). "Sasha Roiz Keeping Busy With 'Warehouse 13,' 'Grimm'". airlockalpha.com.
- Spelling, Ian (2009-03-19). "Caprica star Esai Morales sees parallels with these great stories". Sci Fi Wire.
- Phillips, Jevon (January 16, 2010). "'Caprica' countdown: Sasha Roiz says, 'Something ominous is coming'". Los Angeles Times.
- Sasha Roiz expands role on Sci Fi's 'Caprica', archived from the original on May 2, 2009
- Jensen, Michael (February 3, 2010). "Move Over, Captain Jack. There's a New Gay in the Galaxy Named Sam Adama.". AfterElton.com.
- Vary, Adam B (28 June 2012). "'Husbands': EP and star on season 2 of their gay-marriage web series -- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Sasha Roiz on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, new interview...". Capricatv.net.