1979 (age 39–40)
|Residence||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Education||Swiss Cottage Secondary School|
|Alma mater||ITE College, Yishun|
|Style||Singaporean, Indian, Malaysian|
|Television||Winner of MasterChef Australia 2018|
Rabicca Vijayan (m. 1997)
Sashikumar Cheliah (born c.1979) is a Singaporean-born Australian prison officer and television cook. He was a contestant on the tenth series of MasterChef Australia in 2018, eventually winning the show.
For 12 years, Cheliah worked for the Special Tactics and Rescue (STAR) unit of the Singapore Police Force, where he trained in tactics, rescue operations, counter terrorism, kidnappings and high-profile protection in the riot police.
Cheliah's interest in food began by watching his mother, a cafe owner, and aunties prepare family meals. His interest in cooking piqued after moving to Australia. His goal is to open a fusion restaurant featuring Indian and South Asian flavours.
Cheliah started a pop-up restaurant named "Gaja by Sashi" in the Melbourne CBD, serving Singaporean dishes.
- "Sashi Cheliah". tenplay. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "9 Sashi Cheliah Facts As Singapore Celebrates His MasterChef Australia Victory". mustsharenews.com. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "Singapore-born Sashi Cheliah crowned MasterChef Australia champion". Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Singapore-Born Home Cooks Wins MasterChef Australia S10 - Star2.com". star2.com. 1 August 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Sashi Cheliah is winning hearts with his smile while cooking at MasterChef - The Indian Down Under". www.indiandownunder.com.au. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Highest score ever: Sashi Cheliah crowned 2018 MasterChef winner". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "MasterChef winner Sashi Cheliah is opening a pop-up restaurant". timeout.com. Retrieved 4 October 2018.