Processing gin in Satartia, 2011
Location of Satartia, Mississippi
|• Total||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||108 ft (33 m)|
|• Density||454.5/sq mi (175.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0690988|
During the Civil War, General Grant sailed a gunboat from Vicksburg and captured the village; the Wilson House on Plum Street was used as his headquarters during the occupation. The war also produced the "Satartia Rifles", a well-regarded Confederate regiment and recruitment group.
Currently there is one small country grocery store and a cotton processing gin in Satartia. The Emmaus (Christian) Retreat Center is located at the nearby No Mistake Plantation.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 68 people, 28 households, and 22 families residing in the village. The population density was 454.5 people per square mile (175.0/km²). There were 32 housing units at an average density of 213.9 per square mile (82.4/km²). The racial make-up of the village was 85.29% White and 14.71% African American.
There were 28 households out of which 25.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.3% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.9% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.70.
In the village, the population was spread out with 17.6% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 22.1% from 25 to 44, 38.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50 years. For every 100 females there were 106.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $36,875, and the median income for a family was $43,500. Males had a median income of $28,750 versus $38,333 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,073. There were no families and 4.7% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 17.6% of those over 64.
The Village of Satartia is served by the Yazoo County School District.
In popular culture
A street sign reading "Satartia - 7 miles" is featured in the 2000 movie O Brother, Where Art Thou.
- McElvaine, Robert S. (1988). Mississippi: The WPA Guide to the Magnolia State. University Press of Mississippi.
- Gannett, Henry. "The Origin Of Certain Place Names In The State Of Mississippi". Mississippi Genealogy. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- "12th Mississippi Infantry". Mississippi Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Shaw, David W. (2004). Sea Wolf of the Confederacy: The Daring Civil War Raids of Naval Lt. Charles W. Read. Free Press.