Satarupa Sanyal is a Bengali Indian independent or parallel cinema film director, producer, actress, poet and social activist, based in Kolkata, India. She is well known for her feminist social stances that inform her films.
She was born on November 12, 1962, to professor Tarun Sanyal and Keya Sanyal, in Burdwan, West Bengal. She got her school education at the St. Margaret's School in Kolkata, and later attended the Scottish Church College for her school leaving examination. Later she graduated from the Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalayaon Veterinary Science and later enrolled in masters on Veterinary Pathology.She got training in Rabindra Sangeet from Smt. Maya Sen, Gitabitan And in classical music from Shri Jamininath Ganguli and Shri Shrikant Bakre. She started a cultural, literary little magazine "Aw" while she was a student of under graduate which is still continuing till date.
She acted in films since 1985. Initially she performed for Doordarshan plays and telefilms in lead roles. These include performances in Sukh, Aparichita, Uttaradhikar, Bikalpa, Sukher Jonne, Prasab and Bhanga Aiyna.
She quit acting and became involved in film production. She worked as an Assistant Director and associated script writer to noted director Utpalendu Chakrabarty for seven years. In 1998 she made her debut film "ANU" as a director and producer under her own banner "SCUD".Till date she has directed ATATAYEE, TANYABI FIRTI, KALO CHITA, ONCE UP ON A TIME IN KOLKATA,TOBUO BASANTA(not released).
She served Central Board of Film Certification for 4 years as a member.She also served as the jury member of Indian Panorama, National Award for feature film, National Awards for All India Radio and section committee jury in MIFF.
. Onyo Apalaa (2015)
- Once Upon a Time in Kolkata (2014)
- Tobu O Basanta (2012)
- Kalo Cheetah (2004)
- Tanyabi's Lake (2002)
- Atatayee (2000)
- Anu (1998).
- Mahesh - for Akash Bangla
- Andhare Alo - Akash Bangla
- Musolmanir Golpo - Akash Bangla
- Putra Yagna - Akash Bangla
- Bhalobasar Rang - Zee Bangla
- Sei Meyeta - Doordarshan Kolkata
- Janmadatri - ETV Bangla
- Kalo Mem - ETV Bangla
- Sesh Kheyay - ETV Bangla
- Bar Bodhu - ETV Bangla
- Satyer Cheye Boro - ETV Bangla
- Dandamundo - Tara Muzik
- Jungler Chitranatya - Tara Muzik
- Jaler Moto Soja - for UNICEF
- Chetna - for West Bengal State AIDS Prevention and Control Society
- Ar Bhul Noi - For State Legal Services Authority
- Tahader kotha- For Govt. Of West Bengal
- Golpo noy- For Govt. of West Bengal
- Notun Swapno - For Hugli jilla parishad
- Utho go bharat lakshmi- For State legal services authority
- Eksho Baro
- Kalo beral
- Surer Guru - A Documentary Film of Jamini Ganguly (1985)
- Treasures of Gorumara, Govt. of West Bengal
- Jaley Jangaley Jiban, Govt. of West Bengal
- Festival & Festivities of Bengal, Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- M Madhusudan Dutta, Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Rathyatra and Jhanpan Utsav, Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Jiboner Jalshaghorey, documentary on Manna Dey
- " Immortal martyr Jatin Das", Films Division
- " Murshidabad the citadel of Bengal Nawabs", Films division
- " My son will not be a Chhou dancer", PSBT
- " Kabitar kalpurush Pabitra Mukhopadhyay"
- Eto juddho keno?
- National Film Award ( Rajat Kamal)for Best Lyrics for Chandaneer in 1990
- BFJA Film Award for Best film for ANU in 1999
- BFJA Film Award for Best original story for ANU in 1999
- Indian Panorama selection of ANU in 1999
- Anandalok Award for Best Actress( Indrani Haldar) and Best female playback singer ( Haimanti shukla) for ANU in 1999
- Indian Panorama selection of Onyo Apalaa in 2015