|Dr Satendra Pratap Nandan|
|Member of House of Representatives (Fiji)
Nasinu - Vunidawa Indian Communal Constituency
|Preceded by||S.N. Kanhai|
|Succeeded by||James Shankar Singh|
|Suva Rural Indian Communal Constituency|
|Succeeded by||Constitution abrogated|
|Minister of Health and Social Welfare (Fiji)|
|Political party||National Federation Party
Fiji Labour Party
Dr Satendra Pratap Nandan (born 1939) is a Fiji Indian academic, writer and former politician.
Nandan was born in Nadi, Fiji. After completing his secondary education he studied in Delhi, Leeds, London and Canberra from where he obtained his PhD in English. After teaching in various schools in India and Fiji, he joined the University of the South Pacific in 1969. As a young academic in India, he taught at the prestigious all-boys' boarding school, The Doon School in Dehradun.
He entered the House of Representatives in 1982 as a National Federation Party (NFP) member. As the NFP began to fragment, he joined the Fiji Labour Party (FLP) in June 1986. He won the 1987 election on FLP ticket and was the Minister of Health and Social Welfare on the monthlong Bavadra Government.
After the coup of 1987, he migrated to Australia and took up a position at Australian National University in Canberra. At present he is the professor of literature and director of the Centre for Writing. He has also provided his support to the newly established University of Fiji by taking up the position of professor of humanities and the arts.
Publications by Nandan
- Nandan, Satendra P. (2001). Requiem for a Rainbow. Pacific Indian Publications, Canberra.
- Nandan, Satendra P. (1991). Faces in a village: Poetry from Fiji. Simon & Schuster, Sydney. ISBN 0-7318-0202-0.
- Nandan, Satendra P. (1977). The Wounded Sea. Viti Publishers. ASIN: B0007AP8KU.
- Nandan, Satendra P. (2000). Fiji: Paradise in Pieces. Flinders University. ISBN 0-7258-0853-5.
- Nandan, Satendra P. (1997). Lines across black waters. Centre for Research in the New Literatures in English, Adelaide. OCLC 38816534 0-85174-111-8.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2014)|