Satisfaction (Benny Benassi song)
The explicit cover of 'Satisfaction'
|Single by Benny Benassi|
|from the album Hypnotica|
|Released||12 June 2002|
|Benny Benassi singles chronology|
Benny Benassi presents The Biz - "Satisfaction" (Isak original edit)
CD single – version by Benny Benassi and the Biz
"Satisfaction" is a song by Italian DJ Benny Benassi. It was released in Italy in June 2002 as the lead single from his album Hypnotica. Using MacinTalk, the song's vocals consist of two speech synthesizers, one male and one female, repeatedly saying "Push me and then just touch me till I can get my satisfaction". The track was Benassi's debut single and most successful song, peaking at number two in the United Kingdom and earning a Gold certification in Australia, Belgium, France, and the United States. As of August 2014, it was the 54th best-selling single of the 21st century in France, with 382,000 units sold. "Satisfaction" is considered to be the forerunner of electro house which brought the genre into the mainstream.
The first version of the music video features the three men and the woman in the cover of Hypnotica. It consists of one three-second take of the four people turning to face the camera and smile, played in slow-motion to match the length of the song. Overlaid are various animations including close-up pictures of the lips of a man and a woman singing along to the song. This music video was barely played on music channels, although in some countries, it replaced the "construction" version.
The second and most famous version of the music video features women in skimpy construction outfits. The video plays almost like a virtual advertisement for a variety of power tools. All are used in a sexual manner. This version was mainly relegated to nighttime hours. It stars British lad mag models Jerri Byrne, Thekla Roth and Natasha Mealey, American Playboy Playmate Suzanne Stokes and British Page 3 girl model turned porn star and escort  Lena Franks.
On the International Women's Day in 2011, the women's associations of the General Federation of Belgian Labour and Socialistische Partij Anders released a "Granny Remake" of the original video. It was made to raise awareness of the gender pay gap by showing the scantily clad women still working the same jobs at 60–70 years of age.
2018 Russian protest parodies
In late 2017, cadets at Russia's Ulyanovsk Institute of Civil Aviation marked the end of their term by making a parody of the video that drew on a similar parody four years earlier by British soldiers. Wearing just their uniform caps and ties, belts worn around their shoulders, underwear (with the crotches stuffed) and black boots, the cadets twerked, gyrated suggestively, performed maintenance tasks and cleanup in a fashion similar to the video as the cameraman moved from one to the other in their dormitory. The video, which soon went viral, had strong homoerotic elements and suggestions of BDSM culture.
Officials at the institute, described as the oldest and most prestigious pilot training school in Russia, were furious, particularly since the cadets had used school property and worn their uniform caps. "If they had joked like that at home, nobody would have batted an eyelid" said Sergey Krasov, the institute's director. Shortly after the video became a subject of national discussion, the Federal Air Transport Agency convened a commission to investigate the video and identify the cadets, believed to be in their first year at the institute, who had made it. "Frivolous dances in underwear with the uniform cap of the Institute covering the face on the grounds of the aviation university are unacceptable" the agency said. Any cadets it found to be involved could face expulsion.
While some prominent Russian commentators expressed similar outrage on government-run television channels, many more sympathized with the cadets, and made videos of their own in support of them. Most were from other groups of students at trade schools for farmers, construction workers and emergency services, but the Russian women's biathlon team also made one. A Ukrainian swim club filmed part of its video underwater, and a group of retired women living in a St. Petersburg communal apartment contributed their own. Russian American journalist Masha Gessen wrote in The New Yorker that the videos were an unexpected and widespread protest against the state's anti-LGBT policies. "Each clip is at once a show of solidarity with a group of young strangers and a show of ordinary people’s ability to organize and act together—an ability that the state would seem to have stamped out."
12" maxi – Remixes
|1.||"Satisfaction (Radio Edit)"||3:19|
|2.||"Satisfaction (Short Edit/Video Edit)"||2:23|
|3.||"Satisfaction (Isak Original)"||6:39|
|4.||"Satisfaction (Voltaxx Radio Edit)"||3:42|
|5.||"Satisfaction (Greece Dub)"||6:40|
|6.||"Satisfaction (Robbie Rivera Remix)"||7:51|
|7.||"Satisfaction (Steve Murano Remix)"||8:24|
|8.||"Satisfaction (Voltaxx Remix)"||5:43|
|9.||"Satisfaction (DJ I.C.O.N. Remix)"||5:29|
|10.||"Satisfaction (B-Deep Remix)"||6:28|
|11.||"Satisfaction (Isak Original Instrumental)"||6:39|
|12.||"Satisfaction (Greece Dub Instrumental)"||6:40|
|13.||"Satisfaction (Isak Original Edit)"||4:06|
|14.||"Satisfaction (Shifta Remix)"||4:33|
|15.||"Satisfaction (Afrojack Remix)"||4:31|
|16.||"Satisfaction (Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike Remix)"||6:39|
|17.||"Satisfaction (RL Grime Remix)"||4:19|
|18.||"Satisfaction (Razihel Remix)"||3:45|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Italy||12 June 2002|
|France||13 January 2003|
|Germany||25 February 2003|
|United Kingdom||14 July 2003|
- Ludacris sampled "Satisfaction" in his song "Ultimate Satisfaction" for his album Release Therapy.
- DJ Laz uses song's beat in his song "Move Shake Drop".
- Flo Rida's "Touch Me" from the album R.O.O.T.S. also interpolates parts of "Satisfaction".
- The Paradiso Girls sample the song in their live introduction.
In popular culture
The song was also used in a TV commercial for Tooheys Extra Dry lager and Wendy's hamburgers. It appears in the film White Chicks and the video games Just Dance 2, Dance Central, DJ Hero and Saints Row: The Third as well as in the Beavis and Butt-head episode "Drones".
- "Top 100 des singles les plus vendus du millénaire en France, épisode 5 (60-51)". Chartsinfrance. 9 August 2014. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- "Benny Benassi Announces New Album". Noiseporn. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
The chart-topping track paved the way for Benassi’s career and for what we know today as electro house.
- "Lena Franks in London". 2016.
- Christian Hald (6 Feb 2009). "Sexede, halvnøgne Viborg-mænd scorer på YouTube" (in Danish). Århus Stiftstidende.
- Lars Fjord Nielsen. "Nyheder" (in Danish). DR1.
- Marc van Gurp (8 March 2011). "Satisfaction: the Granny Remake for EqualPayday". Osocio.
- Antonova, Maria (24 January 2018).
What Homoerotic Videos Can Teach Us About Modern Russia. New York Times. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
army satisfaction. 8 February 2013. Youtube. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Russian air cadets in hot water after stripping off for music video parody (VIDEO)". Russia Today. 16 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Sharkov, Damien (17 January 2018). "Topless Russian Students Spark Scandal With Viral Dance Video". Newsweek. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Gessen, Masha (22 January 2018). "How Russia's Hilarious, Homoerotic "Satisfaction" Became a Meme of Solidarity". The New Yorker. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Росавиация проводит проверку случая с курсантами ФГБОУ ВО "Ульяновский институт гражданской авиации имени Главного маршала авиации Б.П. Бугаева"" [Rosaviyatsiya Conducts Investigation of the Case of the Ulyanovsk Civil Aviation Institute Cadets in the Boris Bugayev Dorm] (Press release) (in Russian). Federal Air Transport Agency. 16 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
Фривольные танцы в нижнем белье с форменной фуражкой Института, прикрывающей лица, на территории авиационного вуза недопустимы.
- "Australian-charts.com – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Danishcharts.com – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". Tracklisten. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Satisfaction". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 32, 2003" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Romanian Top 100: Editia 37, saptamina 29.09-05-10, 2003". Archived from the original on May 14, 2005. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Swisscharts.com – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Benny Benassi Chart History (Dance Mix/Show Airplay)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2003". ARIA. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2003" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Rapports annuels 2003" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Classement Singles - année 2003" (in French). Archived from the original on May 10, 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Single top 100 over 2003" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Jaaroverzichten - Single 2003" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2003" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2003 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – singles 2003". Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "French single certifications – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "British single certifications – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 9 December 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Satisfaction in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Benny Benassi – Satisfaction". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 9 December 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- lietkynes81 (16 May 2006). "Tooheys Extra Dry Commercial" – via YouTube.