Satish Dhawan Space Centre Third Launch Pad
|Launch site||Satish Dhawan Space Centre|
|Human Space Flight Rated
The Third Launch Pad (TLP) of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre is an under development rocket launch site in Sriharikota, India. When the launch pad will be completely built, it will be the third launch pad in the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, the other two being First Launch Pad and the Second Launch Pad. The launch of India's first crewed orbital spacecraft "Gaganyaan" is scheduled to be launch from the third launch pad before 2022.
This launch pad is intended to be used for future Indian rockets like the Unified Modular Launch Vehicle, Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mk III and Avatar RLV (Avatar Reusable Launch Vehicle) as well as the older ones like Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle and Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle. This is the launch pad which will be used for the Indian human spaceflight programme as well as for India's first manned space mission. One of the main reasons of building this launch pad is that it will increase the frequency of orbital launches by ISRO.
Several facilities have been proposed to be built at the Third Launch Pad. They include a vehicle assembly building, mobile pedestals, umbilical towers, emergency exits, ground escape system, crew ingress and egress systems, safety bunkers, material handling equipment and related electrical systems.
- Peri, Dinakar (21 September 2018). "ISRO setting up launch pad for Gaganyaan mission". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Isro to build third launchpad at Sriharikota". PTI. Times of India. 1 July 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "ISRO to begin process for Human Space Flight Mission". PTI. Hyderabad. India Today. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "ISRO To Build A Third Launch Pad at Spaceport". Indiadefence.com. 2 June 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- This section contains public domain text which were published by the Press Trust of India.
- Chandrashekar, Nandini (2 June 2012). "3rd launch pad to be built". Deccan Herald. Bangalore. Retrieved 8 June 2013.