Satish Nambiar VrC
|Birth name||Chenicheri Satish Nambiar|
|Born||30 August 1936|
Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India
|Years of service||1956-1994|
|Unit||Maratha Light Infantry|
|Battles/wars||Indo-Pakistan War of 1965|
Indo-Pakistan War of 1971
|Relations||Brother - Vijay Nambiar|
Daughter — Rekha
Son — Rajesh
|Other work||Distinguished Fellow of IDSA|
Lieutenant General Chenicheri Satish Nambiar is a retired Indian general. He was the first Force Commander and Head of Mission of UNPROFOR, the United Nations Protection Force in the former Yugoslavia during 1992-93. He is the elder brother of former UN Under-Secretary-General Vijay Nambiar.
Lt Gen Nambiar was born in Bombay (now Mumbai) on 30 August 1936, to Kunhananthan Nambiar and Chenicheri Devikutty. He was educated mostly in Poona (present-day Pune) and Bombay, and is an alumnus of St. Xavier's College, Bombay. He was an Under Officer with the National Cadet Corps, and joined the 20th regular course of the Indian Military Academy.
He also worked as the Director General of Military Operations in India. He was the first Force Commander and Head of Mission of the United Nations forces in Yugoslavia. He retired as the Deputy Chief of the Army Staff (India) in 1994.
After his retirement, Nambiar worked as a researcher and author on topics related to war, defence strategy and international relations. He served on the United Nations High Level Panel on "Threats, Challenges and Change", which provided basis for the UN Secretary General's report to the 2005 World Summit. Since 2011, he is a distinguished fellow of the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi.
- Satish Nambiar; Chandar S. Sundaram; Rana Chhina (2009). For the Honour of India: A History of Indian Peacekeeping. Centre for Armed Forces Historical Research, United Service Institution of India. ISBN 978-81-902097-8-6.
- UN High-level Panel on Threats, Challenges, and Change (2004). A More Secure World: Our Shared Responsibility : Report of the High-level Panel on Threats, Challenges, and Change. United Nations Publications. ISBN 978-92-1-100958-3.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Nambiar, Satish". The University of Queensland. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Biographical Data: Satish Nambiar" (PDF). United Nations. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 October 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Vir Chakra Awardee: Lt Col Satish Nambiar, AVSM, VrC". The War Decorated Trust. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
| Commander UNPROFOR
Lieutenant General Lars-Eric Wahlgren (Sweden)