Satrio Piningit (Gedrik Javanese: Satriå Pininģit, Javanese Hanacaraka: ꦩꦉꦠ꧀꧇꧒꧐꧑; means "Hidden Knight/ Hidden Kshatriya") is a Javanese character of Jongko Joyobhoyo (Jayabaya Prophecies) in Javanese myths by which considered as one who would become a Great Leader of Nusantara (modern-day Indonesia) and rule all over the world from Java. In other traditions around the world, Satrio Piningit has a similar way as Messiah in Judaism and Maitreya in Buddhism, or related to Imam Mahdi prophecy in Islam.
Jongko Joyoboyo (Jayabaya Prophecies)
Maharaja Jayabaya was a King of Kediri in East Java from 1135 to 1157 A.D. and he was known for his righteousness and prosperous, coupled with reputed to have been an incarnation of the Hindu deity, Deva Vishnu (Javanese: Dhewo Wisnu, Indonesian: Dewa Wisnu) so that he had a sort of magical strength (in which Javanese called sakti manduroguno). He is also believed that able to predict the future.
Maharaja Jayabaya is the most famous for his oracles, most prophesies were attributed to him names the Serat Joyobhoyo Musoror, Serat Pranitiwekyo, and the rests are debatable amongst scholars. Jayabaya is also attributed as author of the "Pralembang Joyobhoyo", a prophetic book which played an important role on mind control in the Japanese Occupation of Indonesia (1942–1945).
According to a selectively abridged set of stanzas within a Jayabaya prophesy (those all are extremely long epic poems):
"The Javanese would be ruled by whites for 3 centuries and by yellow dwarfs for the life span of a maize plant prior to the return of the Ratu Adil: whose the name must contain at least one syllable of the Javanese Noto Nogoro."
When Japan occupied the Netherlands East Indies, in the first weeks of 1942, Indonesians came down in the streets shouting out to the Japanese army as the fulfillment of the prophecy ascribed to Joyoboyo, who foretold the day when white men would one day establish their rule on Java and tyrannize the people for hundreds years – but they would be driven out by the arrival of yellow men from the north. These yellow dwarfs, Joyoboyo had predicted, would remain for one crop cycle, and after that Java would be freed from foreign domination. To most of the Javanese, Japan was a liberator: the prophecy had been fulfilled.
Jayabaya Prophecy of Satrio Piningit
King Jayabaya predicted that Satrio Piningit would become a Great Leader of Nusantara. He wrote down that Satrio Piningit is a descendant of Majapahit's royal family, he was an Intelligent King, Honest, and Righteous. He would uphold justice around the world from Java (in the beginning, he will conquer Nusantara before it) so that he is also called as "Ratu Adil" (Indonesian: King of Justice, in Javanese, "Ratu" means "King" or "Queen").
According to Jayabaya, in the course of Satrio Piningit's life, he always has got a lot experience of miseries, always be humiliated, unlucky, and "kesapar" (poor). Therefore, he has got a nickname "Satrio Wiragung" (The Great Ksatria) due to his sincerity. Most Javanese people believe this prophecy.
Satrio Piningit would not have served as a kind of Head of State (President or King) but greater than it. He would surely conquer the world before the end of the world. He would not be elected from the election, and never asks for elected. In other words, he would lead a massive revolution. Uniquely, in the last verses of Jongko Joyobhoyo, there is written the verses about the coming of Satrio Piningit which told about disasters before Satrio Piningit coming day and it is also stereotypically considered as post-apocalyptic world.
Some Verses Which Tell About Satrio Piningit
140. polahe wong Jowo koyo gabah diinteri, endi sing bener endi sing sejati, poro topo podo ora wani, podo wedi ngajarake piwulang adi, salah-salah anemani pati.
the behavior of Javanese is such grain sowing, no one true, no one real, all hermits dare not, afraid to express the true teachings, the death wilt actually cometh those folk up.
141. banjir bandhang ono ngendhi-endhi, gunung njeblug tan anjarwani, tan angimpeni, gehtinge kepati-pati marang pandito kang oleh pati geni, margo wedhi kapiyak wedhine sopo siro sing sayekti.
flash floods occur in everywhere, mounts erupt suddenly, thither is no notification, it all very much hates a false meditate priest without eating and sleeping, because the priest is afraid his secret would beest uncovered.
Sort, characteristics of Satrio Piningit is told at chapter 159 (and this story is also told on Wayang Story):
159. selet-selete yen mbesuk ngancik tutuping tahun, sinungkalan dewo wolu, ngesto manggalaning ratu, bakal ono dewo ngejawantah, apengawak manungsa, apasuryo podho Bethoro Kresno, awatak Bolodewo, agegaman trisulo wedo, jinejer wolak-waliking zaman, wong nyilih mbhalekake, wong utang mbhayare, utang nyawa bhayar nyowo, utang wirang nyaur wirang.
at the latest, after the end of the year (before the end of the world), it would cometh down a god (dhewo/deva/dewa) who becometh the King who hath the human body, his face is like a Batara Krishna, his character is like a Baladewa, his weapon is Trisula Wedha, that is the signs of the changing times, each gent returneth their loans, payeth their debts, liveth for a liveth, shy for a shy.
And events before his advent, depicted at chapter 161:
161. dunungane ono sikil redhi Lawu sisih wetan, wetane bengawan banyu, andhedukuh pindho Radhen Gatotkoco, arupa pagupon doro tundho tigo, koyo manungsa angleledho.
At the Japanese Occupation during World War II when Japanese Soldier overwhelmed and took over the Dutch East Indies rule in Sumatra and Java Island, most Javanese people believed that Japanese were the Awaited Satrio Piningit. Yet Japan ruled by way of oppressing the people. Besides, Satrio Piningit was a Javanese, not Japanese.
In post-independence, most Javanese people (until now) believe that Sukarno were Satrio Piningit. They claimed that Sukarno's character was quite similar to Satrio Piningit's. But most Indonesians do not believe it due to the prophecy by which Satrio Piningit would become a leader of the world, not only of Indonesia, and some Java-centric ethnical issues are also considered as rejection of the claim. And at the end of Sukarno's, Sukarno was treated kind of inhumanely by the New Order's Regime (1967–1998), starting from rejection of Sukarno's Nawaksara at MPRS court in 1966.
Jayabaya's only tells about Satrio Piningit's rising from Java Island. He would lead Nusantara and the last, he would rule the world. Jayabaya does not tell about post-Satrio Piningit era which is considered as post-apocalyptic world, so that Satrio Piningit is just mere open debatable interpretation.
- Maharaja Jayabaya
- Wayang and Pewayangan
- Culture of Indonesia
- Javanese people
- Imam Mahdi
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-11-05. Retrieved 2009-11-07. Javanese-Indonesian language at Wikisource
- R. B. Cribb, Audrey Kahin: 2004. Historical dictionary of Indonesia: Volume 51 of Historical dictionaries of Asia, Oceania, and the Middle East. Scarecrow Press, 2004. ISBN 0-8108-4935-6, ISBN 978-0-8108-4935-8. 583 pages. pp210
- R.M. Mangkudimedja. 1979. Serat Pararaton Jilid 2. Jakarta: Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan, Proyek Penerbitan Buku Sastra Indonesia dan Daerah. p. 165
- R.M. Mangkudimedja. 1979. Serat Pararaton Jilid 2. Jakarta: Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan, Proyek Penerbitan Buku Sastra Indonesia dan Daerah. p. 168
- R.M. Mangkudimedja. 1979. Serat Pararaton Jilid 2. Jakarta: Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan, Proyek Penerbitan Buku Sastra Indonesia dan Daerah. p. 168-169