Saturday Looks Good to Me
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Saturday Looks Good to Me|
|Origin||Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States|
|Labels||K Records (United States)
Polyvinyl (United States)
HDIF (United Kingdom)
|Associated acts||His Name Is Alive|
|Past members||Scott Sellwood
Juan Briz Garcia
Betty Marie Barnes
Saturday Looks Good to Me is an American experimental indie pop band that formed in 1999. The group was, and still is, as of 2015, led by singer-songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist Fred Thomas (former member of His Name Is Alive). Albums by the group are known for soundscapes which hearkened back to Detroit soul.
The band was originally conceived as a basement recording project and did not play any live shows until 2002. The band built up a considerable following on the back of numerous limited-edition 7" record and CD-R releases, resulting in the indie pop albums All Your Summer Songs, released in 2003 on Polyvinyl Records, and Every Night, released in 2004 on Polyvinyl. All Your Summer Songs was listed as one of the top 50 albums of 2003 by Pitchfork. Every Night introduced new singer Betty Marie Barnes, who became the nearest to a permanent female singer that the band ever had.
By 2007, Barnes had semi-left the band and Thomas took over as the band's sole front person. SLGTM's music also changed and the resulting Fill Up The Room (2007, K Recs) album was more adventurous both lyrically and musically than the band's previous two albums.
Following another European tour in 2008, Thomas retired the band to concentrate on other projects including City Center, and his record label, Life Like.
The band reunited in 2012 with a changed line-up, and released "Sunglasses" on Polyvinyl Records. For Record Store Day 2012, All Your Summer Songs was re-issued on white vinyl in a special limited edition of 250. The band released One Kiss Ends It All in 2013, and continued touring into 2015.
- Saturday Looks Good to Me (hereforeveralways, 2000)
- Cruel August Moon (Little Hands, 2001)
- Love Will Find You (Whistletap, 2002)
- All Your Summer Songs (Polyvinyl, 2003)
- Every Night (Polyvinyl, 2004)
- Sound on Sound (Redder Records, 2006)
- Fill Up the Room (K Records / How Does It Feel To Be Loved, 2007)
- One Kiss Ends It All (Polyvinyl, 2013)
- Cassingle Series #3 (Sanitary Records, April 2006)
- "The Girl Is Distracted"
- Green Mansions (limited tour EP)
- "Money in the Afterlife" / "All the Sidewalk Birds" (Ernest Jenning Record Co., February 20, 2007)
- Cold Colors EP (Polyvinyl - July 24, 2007)
- "Dianne Falling Off Her Horse" / "Springtime Judgment" (Ernest Jenning Record Co., July 8, 2008)
- "Saturday Looks Good to Me : Tour Tape" cassette (Life Like - 2012)
- "Sunglasses" (Polyvinyl, 2012)
- "This Saturday looks good to Saturday Looks Good to Me". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Behind the scenes and in front, Shelley Salant helps local music scene thrive". The Ann Arbor News. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Saturday Looks Good To Me official site". Slgtm.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Saturday Looks Good to Me: One Kiss Ends It All Album Review - Pitchfork". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Saturday Looks Good To Me - Polyvinyl Artist Page". Polyvinylrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Staff Lists: Top 50 Albums of 2003". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Saturday Looks Good to Me: Fill Up the Room". Popmatter.com. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Sunglasses 7" & Every Night Vinyl Reissues Out Now - Saturday Looks Good To Me | SLGTM | Official Site". SLGTM. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Record Store Day 2012 - Special Releases". Recordstoreday.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Enemy Planes, Saturday Looks Good to Me, Love of Everything". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2015-08-03.