Saturday Night Blues
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Home station||CBC Radio One (1987-present)|
CBC Music (2009-present)
|Hosted by||Holger Petersen|
|Recording studio||Edmonton, Alberta|
|Original release||December 12, 1987– present|
Saturday Night Blues is a Canadian radio program, which airs Saturday nights on CBC Radio One. Hosted by Holger Petersen, the program airs a mix of blues concerts, recordings and interviews with blues musicians. SNB first broadcast in 1987. Initially airing for one hour weekly, the program was expanded to two hours in 1990.
Petersen, the program's host, is the owner of Canadian roots music label Stony Plain Records. A compilation album of live performances from the show, Saturday Night Blues: The Great Canadian Blues Project, Vol. 1, was released in 1991 and won the 1992 Juno Award for Best Roots and Traditional Album of the Year. Peterson has also published two books of his musician interviews from Saturday Night Blues and his other radio show, CKUA Radio's Natch'l Blues.
Great Canadian Blues Award
In the 1990s and 2000s, the program presented an annual Great Canadian Blues Award to the year's best Canadian blues musician. Winners of the award have included the Downchild Blues Band, Jim Byrnes, David Gogo, Colin Linden, Rita Chiarelli, David Wilcox, Colin James, Long John Baldry, Big Dave McLean (1998), Matt Minglewood, Sue Foley, Georgette Fry, Harry Manx and Jeff Healey.
- "Saturday Night Blues celebrates 20 years". Edmonton Journal, December 2, 2006.
- "Patriot Lyon Mackenzie subject of radio tributes". The Globe and Mail, December 4, 1987. "Holger Peterson, president of Edmonton's Stony Plains Records and the artistic director of the city's immensely successful annual folk festival, gets a CBC radio show starting Dec. 12, 10 o'clock Saturday nights. The program, entitled Saturday Night Blues will cover both traditional and current blues artists, with all of the records coming from Peterson's personal collection."
- "CBC goes under the covers for offbeat remakes of songs". Ottawa Citizen, September 1, 1990.
- "CBC Radio 2 tweaks program schedule; Some depart, others added". Victoria Times-Colonist, June 4, 2009.
- "Northern blues package a meaty meal". Edmonton Journal, December 8, 1991.
- "Major Juno winners". Hamilton Spectator, March 30, 1992.
- "Talkin' 'bout the blues; Radio host Holger Petersen releases second book of interviews". Edmonton Journal, January 28, 2018.
- "Holger Petersen". The Canadian Encyclopedia, October 8, 2008.
- "Saturday Night Blues | Great Canadian Blues Award". CBC Radio One. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
|This article about a radio show or program in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|