Saudi Arabian passport
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Saudi Arabian passport|
The front cover of a contemporary Saudi Arabian passport.
|Issued by||Saudi Arabia|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Saudi Arabian citizenship|
|Expiration||5 years for people aged under 21 5 or 10 years for people aged 21 or older|
|Cost||300 SAR / $80 USD for 5 years 600 SAR / $160 USD for 10 years|
Passport issuance procedures
Before an applicant is issued a passport he must sign his name unless they don't hold a Saudi Arabian National ID Card. If an applicant is a woman, a male guardian is also required to sign their passport to authorise the aspirant passport holder to travel abroad. The male guardian sign his dependant's passport in person. In case of women or underage citizens, the applicant also must bring their Family ID card. The passport photo must be taken whilst the applicant is in normal Saudi attire, unless they are underage and haven't got a Government ID card. The photo must be 4 x 6 in size. An applicant must fill the form in both Arabic and English.
In 2017, a new version of the passport was introduced, the new version costs double but is valid for 10 years instead of 5.
The Saudi Arabian passport has the following wording on its cover:
"المملكة العربية السعودية" "Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia"
"عضو جامعة الدول العربية" "Member of the Arab League" (unlike the rest of the passport, isn't translated to English)
"جواز سفر" "Passport"
- Image of a passport holder
- Passport type in English
- National code: SAU
- Passport number in Hindu-Arabic numerals
- Passport holder's name in English
- Birth date both according to the Islamic calendar and as per the Gregorian calendar
- Gender: Male or Female
- Issue date in both Islamic calendar and Western calendar
- Expiration in both Islamic calendar and Western calendar, it is based on Islamic calendar.
- Place of issue, issuing authority, and issue date in both Islamic calendar and Western calendar
- All information is saved in the Ministry of Interior's systems.
Arabic: "باسم ملك المملكة العربية السعودية أطلب من موظفي المملكة المدنيين والعسكريين وممثليها في الخارج ومن كل سلطة أخرى تعمل باسمها ومن السلطات المختصة في الدول الصديقة أن يسمحوا لحامل هذا الجواز بحرية المرور وأن يقدموا له المساعدة والرعاية
English: "IN THE NAME OF THE KING, OF THE KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA, I REQUEST AND REQUIRE ALL THOSE WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, TO ALLOW THE BEARER TO PASS FREELY WITHOUT LET OR HINDRANCE AND TO AFFORD THE BEARER SUCH ASSISTANCE AND PROTECTION AS MAY BE NECESSARY"
As of August 2018, Saudi citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 75 countries and territories, ranking the Saudi passport 67th in terms of travel freedom according to the Henley Passport Index. Saudi citizens do not need a visa to enter other GCC states and reside permanently. In June 2017, Saudi Arabia suspended diplomatic relations with Qatar, which is one of the GCC countries, and as a result, Saudi citizens are prohibited from traveling to the neighboring country.
- Thailand, permitted only for businessmen with an authorisation by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, due to the Blue Diamond Affair
- Iran, following rupture of Saudi-Iranian relations in January 2016
- Also countries that are in state of war such as Syria and Afghanistan
- Qatar, from 5 June 2017
- "Henley Passport Index 2008 to 2018". Henley Passport Index. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Saudi Arabia to cut commercial ties, flights to Iran - Foreign Minister".
- "Aljazeera News".