|13th Prime Minister of Lithuania|
|Assumed office |
13 December 2016
|Preceded by||Algirdas Butkevičius|
|Minister of the Interior|
11 November 2014 – 13 April 2016
|Prime Minister||Algirdas Butkevičius|
|Preceded by||Dailis Alfonsas Barakauskas|
|Succeeded by||Tomas Žilinskas|
|Member of the Seimas|
|Assumed office |
14 November 2016
|Preceded by||Linas Balsys|
|Born||23 July 1970|
Kaunas, Lithuanian SSR, Soviet Union
|Farmers and Greens Union|
|Education||Vilnius Gediminas Technical University|
Saulius Skvernelis (born 23 July 1970) is a Lithuanian politician who has been Prime Minister of Lithuania since 2016. He is also a member of the Seimas. Previously he served as police commissioner, and he was Minister of the Interior from 2014 to 2016.
Education and work
In 1998 Skvernelis started his career in the Lithuanian law enforcement system, working as a traffic police inspector in Trakai District Municipality. Gradually rising through the ranks, he became the general commissioner of the Lithuanian police on 7 March 2011.
On 5 November 2014, President Dalia Grybauskaitė appointed Skvernelis as the Minister of the Interior, with the parliament confirming the appointment on 11 November. Skvernelis replaced Dailis Alfonsas Barakauskas in the role. He was nominated to the position by Order and Justice, which was part of the ruling coalition, despite not being a member of the party.
During 2015 and 2016, Skvernelis became one of the most popular politicians in Lithuania. In March 2016, Skvernelis announced he would participate in the October 2016 elections to the Seimas on the electoral list of Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union, a party with only one seat in the outgoing parliament. As a result, he was forced to resign as the Minister of the Interior, to be replaced by Tomas Žilinskas.
Although not a member of the party, Skvernelis headed the electoral list of the Peasants and Greens, leading them to a surprisingly convincing victory in the elections in October. The party won 22.45% of valid votes in the nationwide constituency (finishing close second), but finished with 54 of the 141 seats in the Seimas, thanks to solid performances in single-member constituencies. Skvernelis was elected to the Seimas in the single-member constituency of Karoliniškės in Vilnius.
In the subsequent coalition negotiations between Peasants and Greens and the Social Democratic Party of Lithuania, it was agreed that Skvernelis would become the Prime Minister of Lithuania. He was appointed as Prime Minister by President Dalia Grybauskaitė on 22 November 2016, having been confirmed by the Seimas, and assumed the office on 13 December 2016, when the Seimas approved the program of the Skvernelis Cabinet. On 14 February 2018, appearing at an LGBT rally in Vilnius, he called on the Seimas to recognise same-sex partnerships.
Work as General Commissioner
On February 25th, 2011 Skvernelis was assigned as the General Commissioner of Police of Lithuania. He was heavily criticized in 2012, after police transferred a girl back to the custody of the biological mother with the help of 240 police officers. The girl was testifying against the mother in a pedophilia case.
- "Seime prisiekė vidaus reikalų ministras S. Skvernelis". Delfi.lt. ELTA. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Saulius Skvernelis - populiariausias politikas, jis lenkia prezidentę ir premjerą". ve.lt. BNS. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Vidaus reikalų ministras S.Skvernelis nusprendė, su kuria partija eis į Seimo rinkimus". kasvyksta.lt. BNS. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- (in Lithuanian)""Valstiečius" į rinkimus vedęs S. Skvernelis laimėjo sostinės Karoliniškių apygardoje". Delfi.lt. BNS. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- (in Lithuanian)"S. Skvernelis ves į rinkimus Valstiečių ir žaliųjų sąjungą". Delfi.lt. BNS. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "LRS Seimas: Saulius Skvernelis". LRS Seimas. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "T. Žilinskas — naujasis vidaus reikalų ministras". Delfi.lt. BNS. 13 April 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- ""Valstiečius" į rinkimus vedęs S. Skvernelis laimėjo sostinės Karoliniškių apygardoje". sekunde.lt. BNS. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Samoškaitė, Eglė (9 November 2016). "Daliai socialdemokratų piktinantis R. Karbauskis ir A. Butkevičius pasirašė koalicijos susitarimą" [With some Social Democrats protesting, R. Karbauskis and A. Butkevičius have signed the coalition agreement] (in Lithuanian). Delfi.lt. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Sytas, Andrius (22 November 2016). "Defense hawk Skvernelis to be new Lithuanian prime minister". Reuters. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Lithuanian Prime Minister Wants Same-Sex Partnerships Law
- Media related to Saulius Skvernelis at Wikimedia Commons
Dailis Alfonsas Barakauskas
| Minister of the Interior
| Prime Minister of Lithuania