Saunders Beach, Queensland
Saunders Beach is approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi) north of the Townsville CBD. The Saunders Beach community is situated just south-east of the mouth of Althaus Creek, the beach itself stretching approximately 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) further south-east to the mouth of Black River.
In 2004 a Beach Management Plan was put into place by Thuringowa Council, to establish causes of erosion and help manage any future detriment to the beach by means of both natural and unnatural erosion.
At the 2006 Census, Saunders beach consisted of 407 residents, of which are spread across 200 dwellings (as stated by Thuringowa Council in 2004). A high proportion of the Saunders Beach population are aged in the 45-64 age bracket, with approximately 17.5% of the population aged between 45-54, and 11.3% aged between 55-64.
Saunders Beach is a popular local tourist destination, the northern end of which offers free, limited camping reserves. Access to Althaus Creek is provided by means of a boat ramp, and other community facilities include a community centre, and numerous parks with children's playground equipment.
- The New Townsville City: Townsville State Suburbs, accessed 9 June 2008.
- "Saunders Beach - town in City of Townsville (entry 29986)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Saunders Beach - suburb in City of Townsville (entry 44638)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Saunders Beach - beach in City of Townsville (entry 29985)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Saunders Beach (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Beach Management Plan for Saunders Beach - Introduction: Saunders Beach, accessed 10 June 2008.
- Discover Thuringowa: Northern Beaches Archived 19 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 10 June 2008.
- Beach Management Plan for Saunders Beach, accessed 10 June 2008.
- Townsville Region - Social Atlas: Age Structure, accessed 10 June 2008.
- Discover Thuringowa: Northern Beaches Camping Areas, accessed 10 June 2008.
- "Mobile Library Service" (PDF). Townsville City Council. Retrieved 29 January 2018.