|Directed by||Camille Vidal-Naquet|
|Produced by||Emmanuel Giraud |
|Starring||Félix Maritaud |
Sauvage (English: Wild) is a 2018 French drama film, directed by Camille Vidal-Naquet and produced by Emmanuel Giraud and Marie Sonne-Jensen. It stars Félix Maritaud in the lead role, Eric Bernard, Nicolas Dibla and Philippe Ohrel.
Léo (Félix Maritaud) is a male prostitute who uses drugs whilst longing for love.
- Félix Maritaud as Léo
- Eric Bernard as Ahd
- Nicolas Dibla as Mihal
- Philippe Ohrel as Claude
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 88% based on 26 reviews, and an average rating of 7.66. The website's critical consensus reads, "Sauvage / Wild takes a clear-eyed look at the life of a sex worker, fueled by Felix Maritaud's performance and writer-director Camille Vidal-Naquet's non-judgmental approach." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 77 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian wrote, "It’s a contrived and slightly unsatisfying image. But Maritaud’s performance has power." Tara Brady of The Irish Times wrote, "Félix Maritaud is a heartbreaking revelation as a sex worker seeking intimacy in France". David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "Sauvage has its longueurs, at times seeming stuck in a circuitous groove with too little forward momentum. However, the movie is never banal."
|2018||Cannes Film Festival||Rising Star Award||Won|||
|Critics' Week Grand Prize||Nominated|
|Chicago International Film Festival||Gold Q-Hugo||Nominated|||
|Jerusalem Film Festival||International First Film||Won|||
|2019||César Award||Best First Film||Nominated|||
- Halls, Eleanor (2019-03-01). "Sauvage director on sex work and hypocrisy: 'People say male prostitution is degrading. But it's not degrading to women?'". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "Sauvage showing at Queen's Film Theatre, Belfast". Queen's Film Theatre. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- Sauvage / Wild (2019), retrieved 2019-03-28
- Sauvage, retrieved 2019-03-28
- Bradshaw, Peter (2019-02-27). "Sauvage review – on the street with a homeless hustler". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- Brady, Tara. "Sauvage review: A powerful and upsetting experience". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "'Sauvage': Film Review | Cannes 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "Cannes Film Festival (2018)". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "Out-Look Competition Archives". Cinema Chicago. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "Sauvage". Jerusalem Film Festival. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- "Best Original Score – France's Cesar Awards Nominations Unveiled". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-03-28.