Sauvo – Sagu
The Sauvo Church
Location of Sauvo in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Seppo Allén|
|• Total||299.47 km2 (115.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||252.50 km2 (97.49 sq mi)|
|• Water||47.21 km2 (18.23 sq mi)|
|Area rank||244th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||232nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.82/km2 (30.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||96% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.6%|
|• 15 to 64||64.8%|
|• 65 or older||17.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the Southwest Finland region. The municipality had a population of 2,985 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 299.47 square kilometres (115.63 sq mi) of which 47.21 km2 (18.23 sq mi) is water. The population density is 11.82 inhabitants per square kilometre (30.6/sq mi).
Like many waterside areas near major population centres, Sauvo's population increases every summer because of summer cottage usage. While vacationers are not reflected in the official statistics, they roughly double the population during the summer. Today it holds a stone church from the late 15th century, and many manor houses.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Sauvo is home to a number of archaeological finds from the Iron Age. The first written mention of Sauvo dates back to the year of 1335.
The municipality of Karuna was merged into Sauvo in the year of 1969.
- Aatos Tapala, opera singer and actor
- Arno Jaatinen, Jäger major
- Arto Nuotio, singer
- Arvo Korsimo, politician
- Eero Rislakki, industrial engineer
- Esko Kiviranta, politician
- John Rosenbröijer, Jäger trooper
- Jorma Rinne, athlete
- Petri Laaksonen, musician
- Rami Sarmasto, actor and musician
- Sanna Perkiö, politician
- Veikko Palomaa, writer
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Sauvo at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Sauvo – Official website (in Finnish)
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|