Savage Steve Holland
|Savage Steve Holland|
|Born||1960 (age 56–57)
|Occupation||Film director, writer, producer, animator, voice actor|
Savage Steve Holland (born 1960) is an American animator and film director who wrote and directed the cult films Better Off Dead (1985) and One Crazy Summer (1986), starring John Cusack. He also directed the film How I Got Into College (1989), and animated the "Whammy" on the game show Press Your Luck. He later went on to create and produce Eek! the Cat for Fox Kids. Now, he manages his own studio, Savage Studios Ltd. and directs shows for Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.
He studied animation at the California Institute of the Arts, where one of his student projects Going Nowhere Fast (1980), was exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art show TOMORROWLAND: CalArts in Moving Pictures.
In June 2007, it was announced that Holland would begin production on a new film, The Big One 3, that fall.It tells the story of a father who had a terrible 13th birthday party and goes to great lengths to make his son's birthday special.
- Better Off Dead (1985)
- One Crazy Summer (1986)
- How I Got into College (1989)
- The Last Halloween (1991)
- The Incredible Crash Dummies (1993) (writer only)
- Safety Patrol (1998) (TV film)
- Stuck in the Suburbs (2004) (TV film)
- Shredderman Rules (2007) (TV film)
- Legally Blondes (2009)
- Ratko: The Dictator's Son (2009)
- A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! (2011)
- Big Time Movie (2011)
- A Fairly Odd Christmas (2012)
- A Fairly Odd Summer (2014)
- Santa Hunters (2014)
- Rufus (2016)
- Rufus 2 (2017)
Selected television series credits
- Press Your Luck (1983–1986) (designer and animator of the "Whammy", all episodes)
- Saturday Night Live (1988–1990) (assistant director for two seasons)
- The New Adventures of Beans Baxter (1987–1988) (wrote and directed most episodes)
- Encyclopedia Brown (1989–1990) (director)
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures (1990–1991) (writer)
- Eek! the Cat (1992–1997) (co-creator, executive producer, and wrote most of the episodes)
- The Terrible Thunderlizards (1993–1997) (co-creator, executive producer and voice talent)
- The Puzzle Place (1994-1998) (director)
- V.I.P. (1998–2002) (directed many episodes)
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show (1997–1998) (directed 3 episodes)
- Kenan & Kel (1997-1999) (wrote 6 episodes)
- Sabrina: The Animated Series (1999–2000) (creator, casting director, voice director and executive producer)
- Lizzie McGuire (2001–2003) (directed 9 episodes)
- Phil of the Future (2004) (directed 4 episodes)
- Dave The Barbarian (2004–05) (co-creator, executive producer, wrote most of the episodes and voice talent)
- Unfabulous (2005–2007) (directed 7 episodes)
- Zoey 101 (2005–2007) (directed 5 episodes)
- Camp Lazlo (2006–2007) (writer, director, storyboard artist)
- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide (2005–2007) (directed 8 episodes)
- Zeke and Luther (2009–2011) (directed 11 episodes)
- Big Time Rush (2009–2013) (directed 14 episodes, 4 of them being 2-part specials)
- Janet Maslin (1985). "Better Off Dead". The New York Times.
- Davis, Erik (5 June 2007). "'Better Off Dead' Director Returns to Helm 'The Big One 3'". Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Savage Steve Holland celebrates The Big One 3". 5 June 2007. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- The Return of Savage Steve Holland Archived June 7, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.