Savannah High School (Missouri)
|Savannah High School|
|701 W. William St.
Savannah, MO 64485
|Motto||"Savage Pride" "Savage Nation"|
|Color(s)||Black and gold|
|Athletics conference||Midland Empire Conference|
|Information||(+1 (816) 383-0716|
Savannah High School is a public secondary school in Savannah, Missouri which covers grades 9 through 12.
Savannah High School is a part of the Savannah R-III School District, which has been accredited with distinction four of the last five years.
The school's principal is Zac Coughlin, its assistant principal is Ron Jackson, and its athletic director is Bruce Humphrey. The school currently enrolls just over 800 students. Recent additions include a new commons area and a library.
- Dan Hegeman, Missouri state senator (1981)
Savannah High School is home to one of Missouri's premier quizbowl teams, having won six state championships. They have done well on a national level at the ASCN national Tournament of Champions, placing 7th in 2003 and 2004, 5th in 2005, 4th in 1995, and winning the championship in 1988. The quizbowl is composed of a Junior Varsity team and a Varsity team. The JV team won state in 2006 and 2007.
Debate and Forensics
Savannah High School is also home to one of the winningest Speech and Debate squads in the Midland Empire Conference and greater Kansas City area, winning every conference championship since its inception, and qualifying numerous competitors to the Missouri State High School Activities Association Tournament and National Forensic League National Tournament.
In recent years, Savannah has placed well at the state and national levels:
• 2001: A 2nd place MSHSAA State Tournament Humorous Interpretation, 2nd place NFL Nationals Video Speaking Contest
• 2002: A 6th place MSHSAA State Tournament Dramatic Interpretation, a State Champion Extemporaneous Speaking
• 2005: An 8th place MSHSAA State Tournament Storytelling
• 2006: A 5th place MSHSAA State Tournament Poetry, a 7th place Storytelling, a 5th place Dramatic Interp., a 2nd place Humorous Interp., 7th place NFL Nationals Humorous Interpretation
• 2007: A 5th place MSHSAA State Tournament Poetry, a 5th place Extemp, a 3rd place Lincoln Douglas Debater, 14th place Poetry Interp. NFL Nationals
• 2008: A 2nd Place DI, 2nd place HI, 2nd place Storytelling, 3rd place Oratory, 3rd place Extemp, 6th place Poetry, Quarterfinalist P.F.D. team, and a Semifinalist L.D. debater at MSHSAA State. A 3rd place Oratory (winning the Professor’s Bowl for placing 1st in the final round), and a 5th place Poetry at NFL Nationals
• 2009: A 5th place Poetry at the MSHSAA State Tournament, two semi-finalists in Student Congress at the NFL National Tournament
• 2010: A 10th place in Student Congress, a 10th place in Duo Interpretation, a 7th place in Domestic Extemporaneous speaking at the NFL National Tournament
• 2011: Two semi-finalists in Student Congress, an octo-finalist and a quarterfinalist in Domestic Extemporaneous speaking, and a quarterfinalist in International Extemporaneous speaking
• 2013: Noah Jermain won the Humorous Interpretation event at the NFL National Tournament.
Savannah soccer team
Savannah High School began girls' and boys' soccer teams in 2005. In the 2006 season, the boys' team won their first game. In 2011 and 2012 the girls' team won back-to-back district titles.
Savannah football has been having success in recent years as they have gained two conference titles and one district title in the past three years. In 2011 the Savages lost to Webb City 28-24 with four seconds left for the semi-final game.