|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Born||19 May 1991|
Hartlepool, County Durham, UK
|Wins by KO||2|
Savannah Marshall (born 19 May 1991) is a British boxer, current World Boxing Association Inter-Continental Female Super Middleweight champion. Savannah Marshall winning the UK's first ever women's amateur boxing world championship. She has been nicknamed as the ‘Silent Assassin’ due to her innate shyness.
Marshall attended the English Martyrs School and Sixth Form College, Hartlepool, where she achieved 12 GCSEs before gaining a Distinction in a BTEC National Diploma in Sport at Hartlepool College. She has been boxing since aged 12, when she joined a local Hartlepool Headland club with friends in order to keep fit.
Following her win in China at the 2012 AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships in Qinhuangdao, China, Marshall was a favourite to win Olympic gold in London in August 2012. However, she was defeated 16–12 by Marina Volnova of Kazakhstan in her opening, quarter-final bout. Marshall remains the only boxer ever to have defeated Claressa Shields, the middleweight women's gold medalist in the 2012 Olympics; the upset bout took place in the second round of the world championships at Qinhuangdao in 2012.
At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Marshall beat Ariane Fortin of Canada to take the gold medal in the women's middleweight division. In May 2016, Marshall qualified for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro after reaching the semi-finals of the World Championships in Kazakhstan.
On 18 May 2017, during a press conference to promote the IBF super featherweight title defence of Mayweather promoted Gervonta Davis against former British champion Liam Walsh, Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced to the press that he had signed Marshall to a professional promotional contract. Marshall made her professional boxing debut at super middleweight on the undercard of The Money Fight, in the professional boxing super-fight between undefeated five-division champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. and the former UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor. It took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada on 26 August 2017. She defeated Sydney LeBlanc by unanimous decision 40-36 in a four-round bout. Marshall lifted the vacant WBA super-middleweight Inter-continental title in Sofia, Bulgaria after winning all 10 rounds to claim a comfortable points victory over Yanina Orozco (Argentina).
Professional boxing record
|Professional record summary|
|5 fights||5 wins||0 losses|
|5||Win||5–0||Klaudia Vígh||TKO||2 (6)||9 Nov 2018||O2 Victoria Warehouse, Manchester, England|
|4||Win||4–0||Yanina Orozco||UD||10||27 Oct 2018||Arena Armeec, Sofia, Bulgaria||Won vacant WBA Inter-Continental Super middleweight title|
|3||Win||3–0||Alejandra Ayala||TKO||2 (6), 1:58||15 Jun 2018||York Hall, London, England|
|2||Win||2–0||Ester Konecna||TKO||2 (8), 1:43||12 May 2018||Whites Hotel, Bolton, England|
|1||Win||1–0||Sydney LeBlanc||UD||4||26 Aug 2017||T-Mobile Arena, Paradise, Nevada, U.S.|
- "Savannah Marshall". www.gbboxing.org.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "BoxRec: Savannah Marshall". boxrec.com. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Winner Savannah Marshall can clinch first pro belt against Argentina's Yanina Orozco". 27 October 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- Savannah Marshall wins Britain's first ever women's boxing world title.The Guardian, 2012.
- "SAVANNAH MARSHALL IS GOING FOR GOLD IN 2012". 24 May 2012.
- Scott Wilson.Shy Savannah's rise to the Olympics.The Northern Echo, 2012.
- Savannah Marshall Biography.teamgb.com, 2012.
- "FE students add to Team GB Olympic medal haul". FE Week. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Savannah Marshall wins World Championships gold in China.BBC Sport, 2012.
- "Shock for gold medal hope Savannah as world champion Marshall suffers defeat". Daily Mail. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- Woodyard, Eric. "First amateur loss frustrates Flint boxer Claressa Shields, she expected a victory." Flint Journal, May 15, 2012. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Savannah Marshall". Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Savannah Marshall qualifies for Rio Olympics after making World Championship semi-finals". Sky Sports. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- Gadd, Mick (18 May 2017). "Floyd Mayweather signs British former world amateur champion". Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "BoxRec: Event". boxrec.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight undercard: What we know so far". standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather: THE MONEY FIGHT PREVIEW". Fox Sports.
- Conor McGregor reportedly knocked out in sparring for Money Fight forbes.com 2017/07/17
- Money Fight world tour circus begins mmajunkie.com 2017/07
- McGregor, Mayweather v. "Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor – The Money Fight". WBN — World Boxing News. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26".
- "Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor megafight finalized for Aug. 26". ESPN. 13 June 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Marshall kicks off Mayweather vs McGregor undercard with debut win". 27 August 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Savannah Marshall sets her sights on a world title shot after winning her first professional belt". Retrieved 31 October 2018.