Save Me (South Korean TV series)
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Also known as||Rescue Me|
|Based on||"Out of the world" (세상 밖으로)|
by Jo Geum-san
|Developed by||Studio Dragon|
|Written by||Jung Shin-kyoo[a]|
|Directed by||Kim Sung-soo|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Lee Jae-moon|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hidden Sequence|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||August 5 –|
September 24, 2017
|Followed by||Save Me 2|
Save Me (Korean: 구해줘; RR: Guhaejwo) is a 2017 South Korean television series starring Ok Taec-yeon, Seo Ye-ji, Jo Sung-ha, and Woo Do-hwan. Serving as the very first television series from producer Lee Jae-moon's company Hidden Sequence, it aired on OCN from August 5 to September 24, 2017 for 16 episodes. This drama series is based on the popular Daum webcomic Out of the World (세상 밖으로) by Jo Geum-san.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Cast
- 3 Second season
- 4 Original soundtrack
- 5 Ratings
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 International broadcast
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Im Sang-mi, her brother, Sang-jin and their family moves to Muji-gun, a suburban town from Seoul after her father's business failed. On the way, their truck breaks down but luckily four teenagers, Han Sang-hwan, Suk Dong-chul, Woo Jung-hoon and Choi Man-hee stops by and helps them call a towing service. There's a religious cult in town called Goosunwon that has a large number of followers and preaches that everything is Almighty's plan and one must serve Almighty to gain passage to the boat of salvation which will take them to paradise. Goosunwon disguises itself as a peaceful church. The spiritual father, leader of the church offers to give Sang-mi and her family a place to stay. Her family believes that the people of the church are generous and kind but Sang-mi feels like there is something strange about them. She goes to her new school where Sang-hwan, Dong-chul, Jung-hoon and Man-hee also goes to. Her brother, Sang-jin gets bullied and even sexually assaulted because of his disability. The bullies one day, dragged him to the roof of the school and tried to get him to take off his pants on camera. Sang-mi rushes to help him and on the way to the roof she runs into Sang-hwan and Dong-chul and pleads them to save her brother. But Sang-hwan being the son of the governor, decides not to help because it might negatively impact his father's campaign. Dong-chul goes instead. Sang-mi and Dong-chul are outnumbered by the bullies. Sang-jin thinking that all of this happened because of him and that his prayers aren't going to be answered, commits suicide by jumping off the roof to end his pain. Sang-hwan feels guilty that he didn't help and blames himself for Sang-jin's death. The main bully gets off the hook due to his father's wealth and power. Dong-chul gets expelled from school. But one night, Dong-chul sees the bully in public and follows him to a quiet spot to beat him up. The bully breaks down and agrees to tell the police everything. That was just an act, he tried to sneak up on Dong-chul when he dropped his guard. The two falls down a hill during their fight and the bully falls on a big rock, breaking his back and never being able to walk again. Dong-chul is sentenced to three years in prison. Sang-mi's mother couldn't cope with her son's death and become mentally unstable. The spiritual father decides to take the family into Goosunwon, promising to help her mother heal. Her father eventually becomes brainwashed by the cult and becomes fully dedicated to serving the 'Almighty'.
Three years later, Sang-hwan is a college student in Seoul studying law but decides to come back to Muji-gun. Dong-chul is released from prison. Sang-hwan meets up with his old friends, Jung-hoon and Man-hee. Sang-mi is still trapped in Goosunwon. She tried to run away but only to get captured by Apostle Jo from the cult. After going out for drinks one night, the trio runs into an accident with Apostle Jo and Apostle Kang from the church when their van hit Sang-hwan's motorbike. Sang-mi was sitting in the van and whispers "Save me." to Sang-hwan. Sang-hwan still feels guilty for not being able to save her brother so he is now determined to save Sang-mi. He enlists the help of Jung-hoon, Man-hee and Dong-chul to help Sang-mi escape and expose the cult for its true colors. Meanwhile, Sang-hwan is suspicious that his father is corrupted and grows more and more distant with him.
- Ok Taec-yeon as Han Sang-hwan
- Seo Ye-ji as Im Sang-mi
- Jo Sung-ha as Baek Jung-ki
- Woo Do-hwan as Suk Dong-chul
People at Goosunwon
People in Muji
- Son Byung-ho as Han Yong-min
- Choi Moon-soo as Chae Min-hwa
- Jang Hyuk-jin as Lee Kang-soo
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Woo Choon-kil
- Go Joon as Cha Joon-goo
- Kang Kyung-hun as Lee Ji-hee
- Choi Hyuk-joo as Madame Tudari
- Park Soo-yeon as Choi Kyung-hye
- Jeon Yeo-been as Hong So-rin
- Lee Jae-joon as Dae-shik
- Yoon Jong-suk as Lee Byung-suk
- Lee Joon-gyu as Chil-goo
- Lee In-cheol as Elderly Man
- Hong Sung-deok as Dong-cheol's father
- Son Young-soon as Dong-cheol's grandmother
- Jung Joon-won as Jung-goo
- Kim Jung-pal as Lee Byung-seok's father
- Min Kyung-ok as Jung-goo's grandmother
- Ahn Min-young as Devotee
- Noh Eun-jung as Devotee
- Jong Seok as Iljin 1
- Lee Seung-hyub as Iljin 2
- Jang Won as Iljin 3
- Nam Hyun-jung as Iljin 4
- Jung Kang-hee as Gochujang
- Son Byung-wook as Pil-soo
- Yoo-yeon as Teacher
- Kim Ha-yeon as Devotee
- Kim Jin-hee as Devotee
- Im Ho-joon as Devotee
- Jwa Chae-won as Devotee
- Kim Doo-eun as Devotee
- Lee Seol-goo as Shaman
- Lee Tae-hyung as Lee Jin-seok
- Jung Jae-kwang as Eun-sung
- Cha Joon as Bu-jjang
- Lee Jung-heon as Police Chief
- Kim Seo-hwi as Yu-ra, Eun-shil's daughter
- Park Jung-min as Section Chief Park
- Jung Ki-seob as Senior Reporter
- Jang Se-ah as Hospital Nurse
- Kim Se-on as Hwa-ran
- Han Tae-il
- Kook Ji-yong
- Ahn Se-ho
- Kwon Oh-jin
- Jung Myung-joon
|Soundtrack album by |
|Label||Studio Curiosity, Vlending Co., Ltd.|
|1.||"I Am (잉키)"||Seo Dong-sung||Park Sung-il (Copykumo)||Inkii||03:58|
|2.||"I Am (잉키)" (Inst.)||Park Sung-il (Copykumo)||03:58|
|1.||"Hallucination (환각)"||Lee Chi-hoon||Kim Jong-ik||The Vane||04:06|
|2.||"Hallucination (환각)" (Inst.)||Kim Jong-ik||04:06|
|1.||"Dust Wind (모래바람)"||Jung Cha-sik||Jung Cha-sik||Jung Cha-sik||05:09|
|2.||"Dust Wind (모래바람)" (Inst.)||Jung Cha-sik||05:09|
- In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
- N/A denotes that the rating is not known.
|Ep.||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|1||August 5, 2017||1.059%||N/A||1.8%|
|2||August 6, 2017||1.741%||1.690%||1.4%|
|3||August 12, 2017||1.284%||N/A||1.2%|
|4||August 13, 2017||1.689%||1.805%||1.8%|
|5||August 19, 2017||1.779%||1.904%||1.1%|
|6||August 20, 2017||2.275%||2.525%||1.7%|
|7||August 26, 2017||2.251%||2.802%||1.6%|
|8||August 27, 2017||2.960%||3.286%||2.4%|
|9||September 2, 2017||2.433%||2.730%||1.4%|
|10||September 3, 2017||3.028%||3.192%||1.7%|
|11||September 9, 2017||2.646%||2.966%||2.2%|
|12||September 10, 2017||2.879%||2.940%||2.9%|
|13||September 16, 2017||2.549%||2.897%||2.0%|
|14||September 17, 2017||3.001%||2.825%||2.8%|
|15||September 23, 2017||3.244%||3.846%||2.5%|
|16||September 24, 2017||4.797%||4.639%||4.5%|
- This drama airs on a cable channel/pay TV which normally has a relatively smaller audience compared to free-to-air TV/public broadcasters (KBS, SBS, MBC and EBS).
Awards and nominations
|2018||54th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor||Woo Do-hwan||Nominated|||
- In Vietnam, it streamed through Zing TV & FPT, playing 2 hours after its original broadcast in South Korea.
- In Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Sri Lanka, tvN Asia aired Save Me in 2019 with subtitles.
- In Indonesia, Sony One aired this TV series in 2018.
- "'구해줘' 정이도 작가 "사이비 종교, 현실이 더 끔찍"(인터뷰①)". edaily (in Korean). September 23, 2017.
- SAVE ME 본격 사이비 스릴러 구해줘 1화 예고 대공개 '뜨거운 촌놈들, 사이비 세상을 구원하다' 170805 EP.1. OCN via YouTube. August 1, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- Jo Geum-san. "세상 밖으로 (Out of the World)". Daum Webtoon (in Korean). Kakao Corporation. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Kim, U. (April 19, 2017). "2PM's Taecyeon, Seo Ye Ji, And More Confirmed For New OCN Drama". Soompi. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- "Taecyeon confirmed as the lead for OCN's 'Save Me'". Allkpop. April 18, 2017. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- "Seo Ye-ji Takes a Step Further as Actress with Cult Drama". Chosun Media. September 20, 2017. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- "Nielsen Korea". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- "제54회 백상예술대상, TV·영화 각 부문별 수상 후보자 공개". JTBC (in Korean). April 6, 2018.