Saving Our Vanishing Heritage
Saving Our Vanishing Heritage: Safeguarding Endangered Cultural Heritage Sites in the Developing World was a report released by Global Heritage Fund on October 17, 2010. It illuminated five accelerating man-made threats facing global heritage sites in developing countries: development pressures, unsustainable tourism, insufficient management, looting, and war and conflict.
Based on these threats, the report surveyed 500 major archaeological and heritage sites in developing countries to evaluate current loss and destruction, conservation and development. It identified nearly 200 of these sites as "At Risk” or “Under Threat,” and the following 12 as “On the Verge” of irreparable loss and destruction:
- Bangladesh’s Mahasthangarh
- Guatemala’s Mirador
- Haiti’s Sans-Souci Palace
- India’s Maluti Temples
- Iraq’s Nineveh
- Kenya’s Lamu
- Cyprus’ Famagusta
- Pakistan’s Taxila
- Palestine’s Hisham’s Palace
- Philippines’ Intramuros and Fort Santiago
- Turkey’s Ani
- Ukraine’s Chersonesos
The report's editorial committee was composed of 24 experts in global heritage conservation and sustainable development from leading universities, institutions and international agencies, including the World Archaeological Congress, Archaeological Institute of America, ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites), Stanford University, the University of Pennsylvania, University College of London, and others.
- "GHF". Global Heritage Fund. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "GHF". Global Heritage Fund. Archived from the original on 2012-08-20. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "Pictures: 12 Ancient Landmarks on Verge of Vanishing". News.nationalgeographic.com. 2010-10-23. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "Report: Ancient ruins worldwide 'on verge of vanishing'". CNN. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Chow, Jason (2010-10-21). "The world's vanishing history - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Debusmann, Bernd (2010-10-18). "Over 200 cultural heritage sites at risk: study". Reuters. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Auletta, Kate (2010-10-20). "Global Heritage Fund Releases List of Endangered Places Around The World (PHOTOS)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
-  Archived October 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- with Kitty Bean Yancey, Laura Bly and Jayne Clark (2010-10-18). "What are the world's most endangered cultural heritage sites? - USATODAY.com". Travel.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2012-03-24.