Sawantwadi toys refers to hand made works of art made of wood in Sawantwadi a town in Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra, an Indian state. Sawantwadi is considered to be India's largest market for wooden models of fruits and wooden toys. Most of these toys are made in the village of Kolgaon in Sawantwadi taluka, these toys are made from the wood of the Indian Coral tree (Erythrina variegata). Craftsmen who make these toys belong to the Chittari community who came to Sawantwadi from Karwar and Goa. It is reported that the makers of these toys face the challenge of competition from mass produced cheap Chinese products. A news story dated May, 2013, bemoans the lack of state support to this traditional art form.
Geographical indication registration
- "Artisans toil and hard work bear no fruit now - Deccan Herald". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "सावंतवाडीच्या खेळण्यांना कोलगावातील कारागिरांचा स्पर्श | PRAHAAR | ONLINE MARATHI NEWS". prahaar.in. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "सावंतवाडीच्या लाकडी खेळण्यांना चीनचे आव्हान | PRAHAAR | ONLINE MARATHI NEWS". prahaar.in. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "कोकणातील पारंपरिक कला शासनाकडून दुर्लक्षित". Loksatta. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "13 products have potential for GI registration - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 February 2016.