|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.4 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||1,544.4/sq mi (588.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867201|
Sawgrass is a census-designated place (CDP) in St. Johns County, Florida, United States. The population was 4,880 per the 2010 City-Data Website. This population change is a -1.3% decrease since 2000. The area is located in Ponte Vedra Beach. Sawgrass is home to The Players Championship (TPC), established in 1974, and offers the highest prize fund of any tournament in golf. This event is a huge success and many locals look forward to it every year.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Sawgrass compared to state averages
- 4 Schools nearby
- 5 Rankings
- 6 References
Sawgrass is located at (30.192742, -81.372668).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (4.33%) is water
This upscale community in Ponte Vedra Beach consists of 1,200 acres. Located between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intercoastal Waterway, Sawgrass Players Club, a gated community, holds 16 neighborhoods, a retirement community called Vicar's Landing, the Oak Bridge Golf and Country Club, and the famous golf course, the TPC Sawgrass.
Located in Ponte Vedra Beach, this residential area resides to the east of A1A. There are 38 smaller neighborhoods within the large gated community. Within Sawgrass Country Club, there is a private golf course with amenities and a beach club across the street. Membership is required.
Sawgrass comprises two subdivisions: Sawgrass Country Club and TPC Sawgrass Players Club. The total number of residences is 1,409 in Sawgrass Country Club and 1,564 in TPC Sawgrass Players Club for a total of 2,973. This calculation excludes Vicar's Landing retirement apartment community located in TPC Sawgrass Players Club. The median resident age is 56.6 years while Florida's median age is 41.8. Males make up 47.6% of sawgrass while females make up 52.4%. The population density is 1,600.4 people per square mile (617.5/km²). There are 3,089 housing units at an average density of 1,000.3/sq mi (386.0/km²).
The median income for a household in Sawgrass was $79,951 in 2015 which is $30,525 above the state average. Many residents make $200,000 or more a year (19%). In 2015, the average housing unit cost $338,755. Detached houses cost $386,262 and townhouses cost $168,720. Houses for sale range from $200,000 to $2,000,000. The common industries for males and females are finance and insurance.
Per the 2010 City-Data Website, Sawgrass is racially similar meaning diversity is scarce. The racial makeup includes:
- White Alone- 94.2% (4,598)
- Hispanic- 2.6% (125)
- Asian Alone-1.4% (69)
- Two or More Races- 1.0% (50)
- Black Alone- 0.5% (22)
- American Indian Alone- 0.2% (10)
- Other Race Alone- 0.1% (5)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander Alone- 0.02% (1)
Sawgrass compared to state averages
The median household income and house values are above the state averages. The renting percentage is below the state average. The median age is significantly above state average. The percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher is significantly above the state average. The unemployed percentage is significantly below the state average. The foreign-born population percentage is also below the state average.
- Ocean Palms
- Palmer (K-8)
- Palmer (K-8)
- Ponte Vedra High School
- Florida State College of Jacksonville
- Saint Johns River State College
- Flagler College
- Jacksonville University
- University of North Florida
- 20 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving in compared to moving out (pop. 50,000+)"
- 34 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of births per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- 64 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest decrease in the number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2006 to 2007-2013 (pop. 50,000+)"
- 73 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in France (population 500+)"
- 89 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2010 and 2011 (pop. 50,000+)"
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Sawgrass, Florida (FL 32082) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders". www.city-data.com. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Glenday, Craig (2013). Guinness World Records 2014. ISBN 978-1-908843-15-9.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra FL Community and Real Estate Info". sawgrasscommunity.com. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Sawgrass Country Club | Ponte Vedra Real Estate". www.lovelyjacksonvillehomes.com. Retrieved 2017-03-31.