|• Total||3.37 sq mi (8.73 km2)|
|• Land||3.02 sq mi (7.83 km2)|
|• Water||0.35 sq mi (0.90 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|• Density||1,780.17/sq mi (687.34/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2402826|
Sawgrass is a census-designated place (CDP) in St. Johns County, Florida, United States. The area is located in Ponte Vedra Beach. Sawgrass is home to The Players Championship (TPC), established in 1974. The tournament offers the highest prize fund of any tournament in golf.
Initial development was done by James Stockton Jr., son of a principal of Stockton, Whatley, Davin & Co. one of the biggest names in mortgage banking, real estate and insurance in the southeast U.S. While on safari in Africa in 1970, he envisioned another golf course resort development like Ponte Vedra in the wild landscape along the coast. After he returned to Florida, he purchased 1,600 feet of ocean frontage near property SWD had available since the 1960s. He engaged a golf course architect and an engineering firm to draw plans for a new development that eventually encompassed 1,200 acres.
At one point Stockton had doubts about using the name, Sawgrass. The plant is common to wet, marshy, mucky ground like the Everglades and the leaves have sharp, often serrated (sawtooth-like) margins. However, when most people hear the term sawgrass, they think of Pampas grass, its first cousin.
The developer recalled that there were 140 units sold in the first year, but in 1973, with the country in turmoil, sales dropped to nine and Stockton became concerned about being successful. All the money from sales was plowed back into the development and business was difficult for a few years. Two events helped turn the situation around. First, Jacksonville began construction of J. Turner Butler Boulevard, a limited-access expressway to the Atlantic Ocean, just north of Ponte Vedra Beach. The commute time from the beaches to downtown was cut in half. Second, Paul and Jerome Fletcher agreed to sell 415 acres (1.68 km2) adjoining Sawgrass to the PGA Tour for one dollar. That land became TPC Sawgrass, the first of several Tournament Players Clubs.
Sawgrass is located at (30.192742, -81.372668).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (4.33%) is water
TPC Sawgrass Players Club
This upscale community in Ponte Vedra Beach consists of 1,200 acres. Located between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway, Sawgrass Players Club, a gated community, holds 16 neighborhoods, a retirement community called Vicar's Landing, the Oak Bridge Golf and Country Club, and the famous golf course, the TPC Sawgrass.
Sawgrass Country Club
Located in Ponte Vedra Beach, this residential area resides to the east of A1A. There are 38 smaller neighborhoods within the large gated community. Within Sawgrass Country Club, there is a private golf course with amenities and a beach club across the street. Membership is required.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Sawgrass comprises two subdivisions: Sawgrass Country Club and TPC Sawgrass Players Club. The total number of residences is 1,409 in Sawgrass Country Club and 1,564 in TPC Sawgrass Players Club for a total of 2,973. This calculation excludes Vicar's Landing retirement apartment community located in TPC Sawgrass Players Club. The median resident age is 56.6 years while Florida's median age is 41.8. Males make up 47.6% of sawgrass while females make up 52.4%. The population density is 1,600.4 people per square mile (617.5/km2). There are 3,089 housing units at an average density of 1,000.3 per square mile (386.2/km2).
The median income for a household in Sawgrass was $79,951 in 2015 which is $30,525 above the state average. Many residents make $200,000 or more a year (19%). In 2015, the average housing unit cost $338,755. Detached houses cost $386,262 and townhouses cost $168,720. Houses for sale range from $200,000 to $2,000,000. The common industries for males and females are finance and insurance in nearby Jacksonville.
Per the 2010 City-Data Website, Sawgrass is racially similar meaning diversity is scarce. The racial makeup includes:
- White - 94.2% (4,598)
- Hispanic - 2.6% (125)
- Asian - 1.4% (69)
- Two or more races - 1.0% (50)
- Black - 0.5% (22)
- American Indian - 0.2% (10)
- Other races - 0.1% (5)
- Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander - 0.02% (1)
Additionally Palmer School (K-8) is nearby.
- Community colleges
- Universities and four year colleges
- Whittington, Ron (May 3, 2018). "Sawgrass state of mind". Florida Times-Union. Jacksonville.com. Retrieved March 22, 2023.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 2, 2021.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sawgrass, Florida
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Glenday, Craig (2013). Guinness World Records 2014. ISBN 978-1-908843-15-9.
- Keddy, P.A. 2010. Wetland Ecology: Principles and Conservation (2nd edition). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. p. 89
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra FL Community and Real Estate Info". sawgrasscommunity.com. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Sawgrass Country Club | Ponte Vedra Real Estate". lovelyjacksonvillehomes.com. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "2020 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Sawgrass CDP, FL" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved August 2, 2022.
- "St. Johns County Elementary School Attendance Zones 2021 - 2022 PV-PV/Rawlings Elementary School" (PDF). St. Johns County School District. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 2, 2022. Retrieved February 1, 2022. - See index of maps
- "St. Johns County Middle School Attendance Zones 2021 - 2022 Alice B. Landrum Middle School" (PDF). St. Johns County School District. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 2, 2022. Retrieved February 1, 2022. - See index of maps
- "St. Johns County High School Attendance Zones 2021 - 2022 Ponte Vedra High School" (PDF). St. Johns County School District. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 2, 2022. Retrieved February 1, 2022. - See index of maps