|• Type||Tamil Nadu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||(0091) 04630|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Srivaikundam|
Sawyerpuram is a town panchayat in Tuticorin district, Tamil Nadu, India.Microliths are found in large in numbers around Sawyerpuram (and another one place is Kulattur of Tirunelveli).They were embedded in the fossil bearing sand dunes turned red.These available evidences of Sawyerpuram points the chronology of the Microlithic culture in South India to Circa 4000 B.C year.
Since missionary Dr. G. U. Pope ministered in this place the population is predominantly Christian.
Religions & Cultures
- Tamil culture is widely followed among the people living in sawyerpuram whether they are Christians or Hindus.
List of Colleges
- Pope College of Arts and Science
- Dr.G.U. Pope College of Engineering
- Dr.G.U. Pope College of Education
- Jeya Polytechnic College
List of Schools
- Pope Memorial Higher Secondary School
- St. Mary's Girls Higher Secondary School
- A.M.A.Hindu Higher Secondary School
- National Nursery and Primary School
- Martin Nursery and Primary School
- A.M.A Hindu Nursery and Primary School
- Gnanasigamani Evangelical Primary School
National and International Transportation
- Tuticorin Airport (going to be international in 3years)
- Tuticorin Port Trust 34 km
- Trivandrum International Airport 192.2 km
- Madurai International Airport 152.2 km
- Tuticorin Railway Station 25 km
Natural Resources & Climate
In Summer days the climate remains so warm and on other seasons the climate will be cool and windy.This small town is also known for the best cultivation of bananas & Rice because of its red soil and jack fruit, star fruit, Jambul fruit, Pea nut, Cucumber are also cultivated on few places around the town.
- Ceramic Traditions in South India; S.Gurumurthy; University of Madras; 1981; page 8,11
- Zeuner and Allchin, B., op.cit.page8