Saxon Shore (band)
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Labels||Burnt Toast Vinyl (2003-Present)|
Broken Factory Records (2001-2002)
|Past members||Josh Tillman|
Saxon Shore is an American post-rock band consisting of members from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Brooklyn, New York. The group has thus far released five albums: one packaged as an EP (Luck Will Not Save Us...) and four as full-lengths. Earlier records featured only five to seven songs, while more recent albums have had several more.
Saxon Shore formed in 2001 as the joint project of guitarist Matthew Doty and drummer Josh Tillman. The two wrote several songs that, in time, were recorded for the duo's debut album Be a Bright Blue, released on Doty's own imprint, Broken Factory Records. Tillman's brother Zach was recruited for bass duties for multiple North American tours.
After a host of tours across the United States (in which the band recruited three separate bassists), Tillman moved to Seattle and later exchanged four-tracks with Doty, who was living in upstate New York at the time. Studio time reserved in Atlanta eventually blossomed into their next effort, Four Months of Darkness. The album marked a change in Saxon Shore's sound from the light indie pop of Be a Bright Blue to the more melodic Four Months.
- Matt Doty – Electric guitar, keyboards, programming, rhodes, piano
- Oliver Chapoy – Guitar, piano, rhodes, synths, programming, celeste
- Stephen Roessner – drums, vibraphone, rhodes, percussion
- Will Stichter – Bass guitar
- Josh Tillman – Drums (2001–2004)
- Zach Tillman – Bass guitar (2002–2004)
- Matt Stone – Electric guitar, keyboards (2003)
- Justin Saxby – Bass guitar (summer 2003)
- Bethany Olson – Keyboards (winter 2003)
- Joel Votaw – Bass guitar (spring-summer 2003)
- Erin Berkey – Keyboards, bells (summer 2002)
- Jesse Pierce – Bass guitar (winter 2002)
- Steve Hoffman - Guitar (summer 2006)
- John Mallinen - Drums (summer 2006)
- Jason Torrance - Drums (fall 2006)
- 2002: Be a Bright Blue – LP (Broken Factory Records)
- 2003: Four Months of Darkness – LP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Be a Bright Blue (Digipak re-release) – LP(Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Luck Will Not Save Us From a Jackpot of Nothing – EP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore – LP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2009: It Doesn't Matter – LP (Broken Factory Records/& Records)
Since 2005, Saxon Shore members have gone on to work on other musical projects, including:
- Midnight Faces - Featuring Doty and singer Phil Stancil.
- Williams Shift - Pop music penned by Stone and Roessner, with fellow musicians Matt Thomas and Jill Purdy.
- Official website of Saxon Shore