|Comune di Scala|
Scala viewed from Ravello
|Province / Metropolitan city||Salerno (SA)|
|Frazioni||San Pietro, Santa Caterina, Campidoglio, Minuta, Pontone|
|• Total||13 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|• Density||120/km2 (300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Lawrence|
|Saint day||August 10|
Scala is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy. It is located on a rocky hill c. 400 m over the sea level and is part of the Amalfi Coast It has a main Square which has a café, restaurant, chemist, deli and others. There is also a very beautiful Church and a swimming pool not so far away. There are then sets of roads which go up the mountain and lead to the chestnut trees.
Scala is the founding place of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer.
Scala is divided into six different hamlets with precise identities: from north to south, Santa Caterina, Campoleone, Campidoglio, Scala, Minuta and Pontone. Attractions include:
- Santa Caterina: Porta Urbana, church of Santa Caterina, chapels of St. Paul and Santa Maria della Porta
- Campoleone: church of San Pietro, in Angevine-Gothic style.
- Campidoglio: church of San Giovanni Battista, with a Moresque bell tower.
- The Duomo of Scala, modified in Baroque times. It has maintained the medieval crypt, the Angevine sepulchre of Marinella Rufolo, and an episcopal mitre and a Crucifix from the 13th century. Also notable is the Bishops' Palace.
- Minuta: Romanesque church of Annunziata
- Pontone: church of San Giovanni Battista and the remains of the basilica of Sant'Eustachio.
- Hotel Zi'Ntonio: charming hotel with balconies in every room directly overlooking the Amalfi coast and a beautiful view of Ravello. The experience feels like a scene from the movie A Room With a View.
The town is famous for its cultivation of chestnuts. Every year, at the end of November, for two consecutive weekends, a Sagra delle Castagne (a chestnut festival) is held in the main square.
Media related to Scala at Wikimedia Commons
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|