The disintegration of the critically acclaimed band Seefeel in 1996-1997 led to its lead member Mark Clifford continuing as essentially a solo act. The remaining members of Seefeel, Sarah Peacock, Justin Fletcher, and Daren Seymour collaborated with former Seefeel member Mark Van Hoen to form the group Scala. Scala's sound was described by AllMusic as "More indebted to noise and trip-hop than the looped sound-wash Seefeel had been known for, the quartet also focused on a somewhat tighter song structure and emphasized Peacock's vocals." Scala released their debut album Beauty Nowhere in 1997 followed by two albums in 1998: To You in Alpha and Compass Heart. After working with Scala, Peacock continued work in the group January.
In the music press, Side Line (Belgium) wrote 'Scala take the rhythmic, ambient guitar sonic veil of their progenitor, Seefeel, adds Sarah Peacock's glass-blown vocals and, most importantly (most prominently), lyrics that convey in their fragile psychic reservoir a richness of emotion and honesty, all wrapped around a misshapen center-piece: uncertainty." Alternative Press (USA) wrote, "Scala's music has a warped menace that makes guitars buzz like otherworldly insects. Sarah Peacock sings anti-torch songs about relationships in turmoil." Exclaim (Canada) wrote, "a crystal clear instrumental sound made of finely textured synths, guitar and drum machine patterns that should appeal to jaded listeners of both pop and "electronica.""
- Beauty Nowhere (Touch, 1997)
- To You In Alpha (Too Pure, 1998)
- Compass Heart (Touch, 1998)
- VDT (Too Pure, 1996)
- Tears (Too Pure, 1996)
- Lips & Heaven (Too Pure, 1996)
- Slide EP (Too Pure, 1997)
- allmusic ((( Scala > Biography )))
- "Rocklist.net...Melody Maker End of year Lists - The '90's". Rocklistmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Bush, Josh. "Scala: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "I Heard Myself in You - January : Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Thomas, Bryan. "January: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Touch Music press compilation