This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2020)
|Founded||1989 in Munich, Germany|
Number of employees
Scanline VFX is a global visual effects and animation company founded 1989 in Munich. The studio is led by VFX Supervisor Stephan Trojansky. The company has 7 locations including Munich, Stuttgart, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Montreal, London, and Seoul.
Scanline has recently completed work on films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) such as Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019), Black Widow, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals (all 2021), and films based on DC Comics such as Zack Snyder's Justice League, The Suicide Squad (both 2021) and The Batman (2022). They have also worked on Terminator: Dark Fate, Gemini Man (both 2019), Godzilla vs. Kong, Free Guy and Don't Look Up (all 2021).
In November 2021, Netflix announced that it would acquire Scanline. The acquisition is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The company will continue to operate as a standalone business and work with a variety of clients.
Scanline is responsible for the development of its proprietary fluid effects software, Flowline. Scanline was the sole developer of Flowline and in 2008, was the recipient of a Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award for the software.
Scanline received a BAFTA nomination for Best Special Visual Effects in 2010 for its work on Iron Man 3 as well as a second Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects in 2014, for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
In 2010, Scanline won its first Visual Effects Society Award for Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture for Hereafter. Scanline has two Emmy Awards for Outstanding Special Visual Effects to its credit for its work on Season Four and Season Eight of Game of Thrones as well as an HPA Award for Outstanding Visual Effects and a Visual Effects Society Award for Outstanding Created Environment for episode The Iron Throne.
|2020||Game of Thrones - The Iron Throne||VES Award||Outstanding Created Environment||Won|
|2019||Game of Thrones - The Bells||Emmy Award||Special Visual Effects||Won|
|HPA Award||Outstanding Visual Effects - Episodic||Won|
|2010||Captain America: The Winter Soldier||VES Award||Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Motion Picture||Won|
- 300: Rise of an Empire
- 6 Underground
- A Good Day to Die Hard
- American Renegades
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie
- Bird Box
- Black Panther
- Black Widow
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Captain Marvel
- Charlie's Angels
- Cosmos: Possible Worlds
- Exodus: Gods and Kings
- Furious 7
- Game of Thrones
- Gemini Man
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Gulliver's Travels
- Hotel Lux
- In the Fade
- In the Heart of the Sea
- Independence Day: Resurgence
- Into the Storm
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 3
- Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Justice League
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
- Kong: Skull Island
- Man of Steel
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Point Break
- Power Rangers
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- San Andreas
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Stranger Things
- Suicide Squad
- The Suicide Squad
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Super 8
- Terminator: Dark Fate
- The 5th Wave
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- The Apparition
- The Avengers
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
- The Cut
- The First
- The Ghost Writer
- The Golden Glove
- The Goldfish
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
- The Invasion
- The Last Airbender
- The Manny
- The Meg
- The Most Beautiful Day
- The Promise
- The Rescue
- The Shallows
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- Tomb Raider
- Transformers: The Last Knight
- Vicky and the Treasure of the Gods
- Vicky the Viking
- Welcome to Germany
- When Santa Fell to Earth
- White House Down
- Who Am I
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix
|2006||300||Zack Snyder||Legendary Pictures||$60–65 million||$456.1 million|
|Poseidon||Wolfgang Petersen||Warner Bros. Pictures||$160 million||$181.7 million|
|2007||The Invasion||Oliver Hirschbiegel||Village Roadshow Pictures
Warner Bros. Pictures
|$65–80 million||$40.2 million|
|2008||Iron Man||Jon Favreau||Marvel Studios||$140 million||$585.8 million|
|The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian||Andrew Adamson||Walt Disney Pictures||$225 million||$419.7 million|
|2009||Vicky the Viking||Michael Herbig||Constantin Film||€8 million||$56.7 million|
|2012||Roland Emmerich||Columbia Pictures||$200 million||$791.2 million|
|Jim Button and the Wild 13|
|The Wrong Missy|
|Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings|
|The Suicide Squad|
|Godzilla vs. Kong|
|Don't Look Up|
|Blood Red Sky|
|The Battle at Lake Changjin|
|The Gray Man|
|The Adam Project|
|Black Panther: Wakanda Forever|
|Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom|
|Shazam! Fury of the Gods|
|Year(s)||Name of Series||Network|
|Game of Thrones||HBO|
|2018||The First||Hulu, Channel 4|
|Shadow and Bone|
|Cosmos: Possible Worlds|
|Line of Separation|
|Year(s)||Name of Series||Network|
|Yu Yu Hakusho|
- "About". scanlinevfx.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Netflix to Acquire Scanline VFX, Effects Studio That Has Worked on Stranger Things, Cowboy Bebop, Eternals and More". Variety. 22 November 2021. Retrieved 2021-11-22.
- "Bringing More VFX Magic to Our Members With the Acquisition of Scanline VFX". Netflix Media Center (Press release). Retrieved 2021-12-15.
- "The 80th Scientific & Technical Awards 2008". oscars.org. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "The 83rd Academy Awards 2011". oscars.org. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Film | Special Visual Effects in 2014". awards.bafta.org. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "The 86th Academy Awards 2014". awardsdatabase.oscars.org. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "9th Annual VES Awards". visualeffectssociety.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "66th Emmy Awards Nominees and Winners". emmys.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "71st Emmy Awards Nominees and Winners". emmys.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "2019 HPA Awards". hpaonline.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "18th Annual VES Awards". visualeffectssociety.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.