Scarborough High School (Texas)
|Scarborough High School|
Scarborough at the 2016 MLK Day parade in Midtown, Houston
|4141 Costa Rica
Houston, Texas 77092
|Motto||"Success is about attitude and expectations everyday!"|
|School district||Houston Independent School District|
George Cameron Scarborough High School is a secondary school located at 4141 Costa Rica in Houston, Texas, United States with a ZIP code of 77092. Part of the Houston Independent School District, Scarborough serves grades nine through twelve and has Houston ISD's Architecture and Landscaping Design magnet Program.
The school was named after school board member George Cameron Scarborough. Its first principal was W. L. Fromein. Scarborough was founded on a 21-acre (85,000 m2) plot on May 27, 1968. The school relieved Waltrip High School. Originally, the plan was for both a junior and senior high school, but it became a high school in 1979 when Clifton Middle School opened.
In 1999 Scarborough had 958 students. That year, there were 16 students who had previously attended private schools. 14 students who previously attended private schools began attending Scarborough in 2000.
In 2008 the school had a per student cost of $5,442, with 890 students attending the school.
In 2014 the district scheduled the elimination of the Scarborough architecture program for the 2015-2016 school year.
Strict dress code and school uniforms
The Texas Education Agency specified that the parents and/or guardians of students zoned to a school with uniforms may apply for a waiver to opt out of the uniform policy so their children do not have to wear the uniform; parents must specify "bona fide" reasons, such as religious reasons or philosophical objections.
Feeder elementary schools to Scarborough High School  include:
Feeder middle schools include:
- "Welcome to Scarborough High School's Website!" Scarborough High School. Retrieved on April 27, 2010.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF)
- Hung, Melissa. "Going Public." Houston Press. Thursday September 28, 2000. p. 1. Retrieved on April 2, 2014.
- "Report points to 'dropout school'," Houston Chronicle, October 31, 2007
- Garza, Cynthia Leonor. "School a haven for new arrivals / Leader helps his immigrant HISD students feel at home at charter campus." Houston Chronicle. Saturday October 1, 2008. B1 MetFront. Retrieved on December 13, 2008.
- Mellon, Ericka. "HISD magnet programs put on watch." Houston Chronicle. October 16, 2014. Retrieved on October 17, 2014.
- "Scarborough High School Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.
- "Demographics." Near Northwest. Retrieved on February 8, 2011.
- "Scarborough High School" Profile. Houston Independent School District.
- "SCHOOL UNIFORMS 2007-2008 SCHOOL YEAR." Houston Independent School District.
- "Uniforms." Texas Education Agency.
- "Kate Smith Elementary Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.
- "Benbrook Elementary Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.
- "Wainwright Elementary Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.
- "Clifton Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.
- "Black Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District.