The title logo from early 2007.
|Also known as||'Scared on Staten Island! (former)|
|Starring||(See credited cast below.)|
|Narrated by||Jason Porcino|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||19 (as of May 18, 2010) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Chris Mancuso
Brian J. Cano
|Location(s)||Eastern United States|
|Running time||45–55 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Core Films
Thousand Hats Productions
|Original network||Staten Island Community Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||September 12, 2002– present|
Scared! (stylized as SCARED!), formerly titled as Scared on Staten Island!, is an American paranormal public-access television cable TV series that was first shown on September 12, 2002, on Staten Island Community Television. Produced by Core Films and Thousand Hats Productions, the program follows and stars a Staten Island-based team of urban explorers who venture into abandoned and condemned buildings in search of paranormal activity. In each episode, three main members, who are collectively known as "The SCARED! Crew" and who vary throughout the series, represent three points of view or beliefs: the psychic, scientist and skeptic.
Cast's work in the paranormal field
In 2009, the cast began a weekly Internet radio show called Scared! on the Airwaves!, which served as an official companion to the documentary series. It coincided with their being represented by Night Management, whose client roster includes other names in the paranormal field, such as Brian Harnois and Patrick Burns. In October 2010, they moved to Ideal Event Management, who represent most of the TAPS[ambiguous] members and others in the field.
The crew makes it a point to team up with local groups when doing an investigation and from time to time find themselves working with veterans in the field, such as John Zaffis and Rosemary Ellen Guiley. Their reputation for working well with others has led to them being requested to investigate places they might otherwise not have gone.
The executive producers, Brian J. Cano and Chris Mancuso, have begun appearing at paranormal conventions to promote the show and to give their lecture on urban exploration called "The Urban Explorer's Backpack". An article of the same name, written by Cano and Mancuso, in the Winter 2010 issue of Haunted Times magazine states, "There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, so be sure to know the extent on your own limitations as well as the severity of any particular situation before you proceed."
In May 2010, they began filming a documentary on the life and work of the paranormal researcher and demonologist John Zaffis entitled, John Zaffis: The World Within. It was premiered in September 2010 at the Dragon Con convention in Atlanta, Georgia and was reviewed by TAPS Paramagazine as being, "beautifully shot and stunningly edited".
Festivals and awards
In 2008, the Shanley Hotel episode won Best Editing at the Director's Chair Film Festival and the Philadelphia State Hospital episode won Best Editing and Best Local Film at the same festival in 2009. The Danvers Mental Institution episode was an Official Selection the same year in the Staten Island Film Festival.
In 2009, the group was recognized by the International Paranormal Acknowledgement Awards (IPAA) and given the award for Best Paranormal Music Score.
In 2010, CORE Films received an Aegis Award in the documentary category for the Grand Midway Hotel episode.
- Current members
- Chris Mancuso (2002–present) – producer, lead investigator
- Brian J. Cano (2002–present) – producer, parapsychologist
- Lisa Ann (2007–present) – psychic/medium, head of psychic division
- Paul DiGennaro (2007–present) – psychometric, psychic division
- Greg Cusick (2002–present) – investigator
- Jason Porcino (2002–present) – narrator, investigator
- Brooke Haramija (2009–present) – case manager
- Karrie-Ann Versace (2010–present) - equipment manager
- Edwin Martinez (2010–present) - demonologist
- Former members
- Joe Rice (2002–2006) – producer, psychic
- Erick Bonet (2002–2006) – security
- Wael "Shawn" Sharaydeh (2002–2009) – investigator
This television-related list is incomplete; you can help by .
Season 1 (2002–03)
All locations in season 1 are in Staten Island, New York.
|101||St. Augustine's Academy (The Monastery)||September 12, 2002|
|102||The Farm Colony at Sea View||October 20, 2002|
|103||Seaview Hospital||February 5, 2003|
|104||Staten Island Hospital||May 13, 2003|
|105||St. George Theatre||September 25, 2003|
|106||The Halloween Special||October 31, 2003|
Season 2 (2004)
|201||Review of Previous Episodes||—||2004|
|202||Graveyards of Staten Island||Staten Island, New York||2004|
|203||Danvers State Hospital||Danvers, Massachusetts||August 8, 2004|
Season 3 (2006)
|301||The Parsonage Restaurant||Staten Island, New York||February 3, 2006|
|302||Eastern State Penitentiary||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||June 10, 2006|
|303||The Farm Colony at Sea View 2.0||Staten Island, New York||October 7, 2006|
Season 4 (2008–09)
|401||Staten Island, New York - The Garibaldi-Meucci Museum||February 14, 2008|
|402||New Castle, New Hampshire - Portsmouth Harbor Light and Fort Constitution||April 17, 2008|
|403||Napanoch, New York - The Shanley Hotel||October 4, 2008|
|404||Danvers, Massachusetts - Danvers State Hospital 2.0||December 25, 2008|
|405||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Philadelphia State Hospital (Byberry)||March 18, 2009|
|406||Phoenixville, Pennsylvania - The Phoenixville Library||July 15, 2009|
|407||East Bridgewater, Massachusetts - The East Bridgewater Town Hall||September 15, 2009|
|408||Windber, Pennsylvania - The Grand Midway Hotel||December 31, 2009|
Season 5 (2010)
|501||The Urban Explorer's Backpack, Vol. 1||Various||March 14, 2010|
|502||The Lizzie Borden House||Fall River, Massachusetts - Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast|
- Michael McWeeney/Staten Island Advance. "'SCARED!' for their livelihood: Pair's suit seeks 50Gs from ex-partner | Staten Island Featured Entries - Breaking News". SILive.com. Retrieved February 19, 2010.
- Wright, Dennis J. (October 20, 2009). "Is the Phoenixville library haunted?". The Mercury News. Pottstownmercury.com. Retrieved February 19, 2010.
- Courtney Mroch. "Before You Give Up On Ghost Hunting Shows, Give "SCARED!" A Chance". HauntJaunts.net. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Night Management SCARED! Bio".
- "Ideal Event Management SCARED! Bio".
- Platt, Tevah. "Seeking out things that go bump in the night". SILive.com. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- Mroch, Courtney. "Movie Monday: SCARED!'s "Grand Midway Hotel"". HauntJaunts.net. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- Reece, Eileen. "Door slams on Middleboro ghost probe". enterprisenews.com. Retrieved May 24, 2010.
- "Phenomenology 102".
- "Arizona ParaCon 2010".
- Cano, Brian J.; Mancuso, Chris (Winter 2010). "The Urban Explorer's Backpack". Haunted Times. 4 (3).
- "The World Within".
- Roberts, Scotty (September–October 2010). "John Zaffis is SCARED!". TAPS Paramagazine. 6 (5).
- "Haunted Collector".
- Amanda Farinacci (May 31, 2006). "Staten Island Kicks Off First Annual FIlm Festival". NY1.com. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- Director's Chair Film Festival 2008 Awards page Archived 2009-01-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Director's Chair Film Festival 2009 Awards page
- "IPAA 2009 Awards page". Ipaawards.org. December 28, 2009. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- "Aegis Award 2010 Winner List". Archived from the original on 1998-12-02.