|Comune di Scarlino|
|Coordinates: 42°54′N 10°51′E / 42.900°N 10.850°E|
|Frazioni||Pian d'Alma, Puntone di Scarlino, Scarlino Scalo|
|• Mayor||Francesca Travison|
|• Total||88.29 km2 (34.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||229 m (751 ft)|
(30 November 2016)
|• Density||39/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Martin|
|Saint day||November 11|
Scarlino is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Grosseto in the Italian region Tuscany, located about 100 km (62 mi) southwest of Florence and about 25 km (16 mi) northwest of Grosseto.
Scarlino borders the following municipalities: Castiglione della Pescaia, Follonica, Gavorrano, Massa Marittima.
Scarlino appeared before the year 1000 as a possession of the Aldobrandeschi family, and was later handed over to the bishops of Roselle and then the Alberti family. In the 13th century it was acquired again by the Aldobrandeschi, but later it passed to Pisa and then the Appiani of Piombino.
Scarlino remained part of the Principality of Piombino until the early 19th century, when it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The municipality is formed by the municipal seat of Scarlino and the villages (frazioni) of Pian d'Alma, Puntone di Scarlino and Scarlino Scalo.
List of mayors
|Mayor||Term start||Term end||Party|
|Alduvinca Meozzi||1995||2004||Independent (centre-left)|
|Maurizio Bizzarri||2004||2014||Independent (centre-left)|
|Marcello Stella||2014||2019||Independent (centre-left)|
- Walls, built from the 11th century and restored in the 13th century.
- Rocca Aldobrandesca ("Aldobrandeschi Castle"), including an angular and a round towers, plus stone defensive walls.
- Church and convent of San Donato, which was the seat of the Augustinians from the 14th century. The church is in Romanesque style.
- Oratory of Santa Croce, with Renaissance frescoes.
- Church of San Martino (14th century).
- Convent of Monte Muro.
- ^ "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- ^ All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- ^ A portion of Pian d'Alma is included in the municipality of Castiglione della Pescaia.
Media related to Scarlino at Wikimedia Commons