|Released||January 19, 2018|
|Singles from Scary Hours|
Scary Hours is the second extended play recorded by Canadian rapper Drake. It was first released on January 19, 2018 by Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records. It contains the dual singles "God's Plan" and "Diplomatic Immunity", with the former later appearing on Drake's fifth studio album Scorpion (2018). The EP was revealed to the public via social media shortly before its release. A sequel Scary Hours 2 was released March 5th, 2021.
Following his 2016 album Views and 2017 mixtape More Life, Drake announced the surprise release of the two-song EP Scary Hours on January 19, 2018 featuring the songs "God's Plan" and "Diplomatic Immunity". Several celebrity news outlets commented on the fact that Drake mentions his relationship with singer Jennifer Lopez in the "Diplomatic Immunity" lyric: "2010 was when I lost my halo / 2017 I lost a J. Lo / A Rotterdam trip had me on front page, though". Drake was accused of stealing another artist's cover art on January 22, 2018.
After the release of Scorpion later that year, the EP was removed from streaming services as "God's Plan" was moved to that album. "Diplomatic Immunity" was then reformatted as a standalone single.
The artwork for Scary Hours was accused of plagiarizing a style for a tour poster designed by Collin Fletcher for musical artist Rabit. Both pieces contained a vertical-orientated texted, with a word stylized in a colored Blackletter typeface layered over another word styled in a white and bolded Sans-serif typeface. However, Billboard reported that OVO Sound, Drake's own record label, picked the artwork when it was presented with other options, unaware of the similarities.
The two songs combined on the EP sold for 90,000 album equivalent units in the first week.
|Various||January 19, 2018|||
- "Scary Hours — Single". iTunes. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Pass, Shantel (January 24, 2018). "ICYMI: Drake Releases Dual Single As Prelude To 'Scary Hours' EP". Saint Heron. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Stanton, Leanne A. (January 20, 2018). "Drake Raps About Losing Jennifer Lopez on Diplomatic Immunity". Us Weekly.
- "Drake Accused of Stealing 'Scary Hours' EP Artwork From Houston Producer". Complex. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Penrose, Nerisha (January 23, 2018). "Drake Accused of Copying 'Scary Hours' EP Cover Art". Billboard. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- "Drake Accused of Stealing New Single Artwork | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "Drake Accused of Copying 'Scary Hours' EP Cover Art". Billboard. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "Drake's 'God's Plan' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved March 10, 2021.
- "Scary Hours / Drake TIDAL". Tidal. Retrieved July 5, 2018.