|Headquarters||Meridian, Idaho, United States|
|Orville Thompson, CEO, Director, & Co-owner
Heidi Thompson, President, Director, & Co-owner
Kara Egan, Co-founder & Director
Colette Gunnell, Co-founder & Director
|Products||Wick-less candles, accessories|
|Revenue||$190 million in 2011|
Number of employees
200,000+ independent affiliates
Scentsy is a Meridian, Idaho-based candle warmer company that was founded in Salt Lake City in 2003. Its products are sold utilizing a multi-level, direct selling structure while using the party plan model for marketing. The company refers to its multi-level sales force as consultants. In addition to candle warmers and scented wax, Scentsy also sells bath products, cosmetics, laundry items, and similar products. As of 2014, the company reports having over 200,000 consultants.
In 2004 Orville Thompson learned of Scentsy while selling video games at a Salt Lake City home-show. Thompson purchased the business from Egan and Gunnell, who then became consultants for the company. The company relaunched as a party-plan, multi-level marketing model in July 2004, and operated out of a metal shipping container on the Thompsons' Meridian, Idaho ranch. By 2013, Scentsy had expanded to 1,019 employees, most of whom work on the company's 603,000-square-foot campus in Meridian.
In October 2009, an upgrade for consultants' front end software became problematic, and Facebook was used as a backup solution. For this decision, Scentsy received the "Success Award" from the Direct Selling Association.
From May 2009 to January 2010, Scentsy's sales force expanded from approximately 30,000 to over 75,000. Inc., labeled Scentsy as "America's fastest-growing consumer products company" and was ranked 19th overall in the annual Inc. 500.
Scentsy has since been rebranded as Scentsy Fragrance, a subsidiary of the parent group Scentsy Family, which also owns the brands Grace Adele and Velata. The company discontinued the Grace Adele brand at the end of July, 2014.
- Thompson, Heidi and Orville. "Scentsy Fast Facts". www.scentsy.com. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Nuyten, Ted (8 August 2012). "Kara Egan – Scentsy Top Earner Interview". Business for Home. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Scentsy Story". Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Rodine, Kristen (20 August 2013). "In the Works: Scentsy to move into new HQ in Meridian". Idaho Statesmen. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "DSA Honors 4 MLM Companies with Industry Awards". 26 October 2010. Archived from the original on November 11, 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "America's Fastest-Growing Consumer Products Company". 1 September 2010
- "Scentsy Family Brands". 3 September 2013
- Goodbye Grace Adele - HELLO BLOWOUT SALE Accessed 26 July 2014