|• Total||5.21 km2 (2.01 sq mi)|
|Elevation||844 m (2,769 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||100/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Hemberg (SG), Sankt Peterzell (SG), Schwellbrunn, Urnäsch|
Schönengrund has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 488, of which about 3.4% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -0.6%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.8%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 0.9%) and Spanish being third ( 0.4%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 50.8% male and 49.2% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Schönengrund is; 45 people or 9.8% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 73 people or 15.9% are 6-15, and 23 people or 5.0% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 21 people or 4.6% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 130 people or 28.3% are 25-44, and 108 people or 23.5% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 46 people or 10.0% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 13 people or 2.8% are over 80.
In Schönengrund about 70.1% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Schönengrund has an unemployment rate of 1.35%. As of 2005[update], there were 57 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 28 businesses involved in this sector. 20 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 7 businesses in this sector. 49 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 17 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 17-Sep-2009
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton (German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website (German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Schönengrund.|
- (German) Official Page