Schenectady (Amtrak station)
View west along platform, 2008
|Location||332 Erie Boulevard
Schenectady, NY 12305
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||Capital District Transportation Authority|
|Passengers (2014)||60,677 1.8%|
The Schenectady Amtrak station (SDY) is a train station in Schenectady, New York served by Amtrak. The station is built under the railroad tracks with an elevator and staircase leading to a railway platform between the two tracks. The station is a popular railfan site.
The station was built in 1979 on the site of the former Union Station. It was made possible through a partnership among Amtrak, the State of New York and the City of Schenectady. The state funded the rehabilitation of the tracks at $3.9 million, while Amtrak paid two-thirds the cost of the depot with the state covering the rest. The city donated the land.
A replacement structure known as the Schenectady Intermodal Station is planned to be built on the site of the existing station that would include both Amtrak and local transit service. The Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) received a US $4.2 million grant for the construction of the planned structure in October 2010.
By 2014, funding from federal and state sources for the new station had reached $15 million and the CDTA had largely completed design work for a four story station building, though by 2015 it had been scaled down to two stories. Track construction was planned to begin in the spring of 2014, but was delayed until fall, with station construction to go out to bid in 2014 for completion in 2017. In August 2015, the Metroplex Development Authority sold Amtrak 2,400 square feet of parking lot that allowed for construction of a temporary station to begin immediately, followed by the demolition of the 1979 building and construction of the replacement station.
The following trains stop at the station more than once per day:
Notable places nearby
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2014, State of New York" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Schenectady, NY (SDY)". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "SCHENECTADY NEW YORK (SDY)". TrainWeb. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Empire Service Trains Now Stop At Schenectady (Amtrak NEWS)". Amtrak History & Archives. November 1978. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Schenectady Intermodal Station Project Funded". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Construction of new Schenectady Amtrak station set for 2015". Trains Magazine. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Land sale approved for new Schenectady station". Trains Magazine. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|