|• Total||3.30 km2 (1.27 sq mi)|
|Elevation||408 m (1,339 ft)|
|• Density||200/km2 (520/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Habsburg, Hausen, Holderbank, Lupfig, Schinznach-Bad|
Scherz has an area, as of 2009[update], of 3.3 square kilometers (1.3 sq mi). Of this area, 1.82 square kilometers (0.70 sq mi) or 55.2% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.1 square kilometers (0.42 sq mi) or 33.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.39 square kilometers (0.15 sq mi) or 11.8% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.02 km2 (4.9 acres) or 0.6% is either rivers or lakes.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 5.2% and transportation infrastructure made up 5.5%. 33.0% of the total land area is heavily forested. Of the agricultural land, 41.8% is used for growing crops and 9.4% is pastures, while 3.9% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is in rivers and streams.
Coat of arms
The blazon of the municipal coat of arms is Argent a feather Gules between two other Or all issuant from a Heart Gules. This might be an example of canting, since the heart (German: Herz) is part of the name Scherz.
Scherz has a population (as of December 2020[update]) of 652 As of June 2009[update], 8.3% of the population are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1997–2007) the population has changed at a rate of -1.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (95.5%), with Albanian being second most common ( 1.7%) and French being third ( 1.6%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Scherz is; 76 children or 12.3% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 77 teenagers or 12.5% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 60 people or 9.7% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 77 people or 12.5% are between 30 and 39, 121 people or 19.6% are between 40 and 49, and 84 people or 13.6% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 73 people or 11.8% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 40 people or 6.5% are between 70 and 79, there are 8 people or 1.3% who are between 80 and 89,and there is 1 person who is between 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 10 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 86 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 117 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. The average number of people per household was 2.52 individuals. In 2008[update] there were 120 single family homes (or 48.6% of the total) out of a total of 247 homes and apartments. There were a total of 4 empty apartments for a 1.6% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 1.7 new units per 1000 residents.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 48.6% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the SP (21.4%), the Green Party (8.7%) and the CSP (7.8%).
In Scherz about 86.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 67 students attending primary school in the municipality.
The historical population is given in the following table:
As of 2007[update], Scherz had an unemployment rate of 1.89%. As of 2005[update], there were 37 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 15 businesses involved in this sector. 16 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 6 businesses in this sector. 58 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 17 businesses in this sector.
As of 2000[update] there was a total of 303 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 242 or about 79.9% of the residents worked outside Scherz while 28 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 89 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 12.3% used public transportation to get to work, and 57.4% used a private car.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scherz.|
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Bilanz der ständigen Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Staatsangehörigkeit (Kategorie), Geschlecht und demographischen Komponenten". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 9 April 2010
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2020. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 9 April 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (in German) accessed 21 January 2010