|No. of offices||8|
|No. of attorneys||more than 300|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Date founded||1864 (Chicago)|
|Company type||Limited Liability Partnership|
Schiff Hardin LLP is a national law firm with more than 300 attorneys practicing out of eight offices nationwide — Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Lake Forest, New York, San Francisco and Washington, DC. It is a general practice firm serving corporate clients in a number of practices.
The firm was founded in 1864 as Hitchcock & Dupee and ranks as one of Chicago's oldest law firms. In its early years, it represented the Chicago City Railway Company and Chicago Transit Authority. In 1889, Hitchcock & Dupee gained Northern Trust as a client; today the company still turns to Schiff Hardin for all matters of legal advice. The firm acquired its current name in 2004.
Schiff Hardin opened a Washington, D.C. office in 1977. Offices in New York City (1991) and Atlanta (2003) followed. 2002 brought a suburban Chicago office in Lake Forest. In 2007, the firm merged with Morgenstein & Jubelirer to open a San Francisco office, followed by an Ann Arbor, Michigan office in 2012. In 2014 the firm added one more office in Dallas.
Notable Deals and Cases
- Chicago Board Options Exchange — In the early 1970, the firm created the legal structure of the CBOE. In June 2010, the firm represented the Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated in its approximately $3 billion demutualization transaction, in which the CBOE converted from a member-owned Delaware non-stock corporation to a Delaware stock corporation and wholly owned subsidiary of a new parent holding company, CBOE Holdings, Inc.
- United States of America v. Conrad M. Black et al. — The firm represented Mark S. Kipnis, the former general counsel of Hollinger International, Inc., in this highly publicized trial.
- People v. Harper — Schiff Hardin represented Julie Rae Harper, a woman wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for the murder of her young son, at her retrial. This case generated considerable media attention after ABC-TV's 20/20 program ran a show about the case.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Woodley — In a case that has received nationwide attention, the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF), represented by Schiff Hardin's Animal Law practice attorneys and North Carolina counsel, obtained a full and final judgment in Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Woodley in a case involving animal hoarding.
- 2012 AmLaw 200 Rankings
- Official Web site
- Worth Magazine's Top 100 Attorneys List Honors Schiff Hardin LLP Partners Thomas W. Abendroth and John D. Dadakis
- Schiff Hardin Attorneys Obtain Injunction Against the Georgia Department of Agriculture's Failure to Enforce Prohibitions on the Gassing of Dogs and Cats
- Chambers and Partners Firm Profile
- Schiff Hardin LLP Organizational Profile at the National Law Review