|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Atglen, Pennsylvania USA|
|Nonfiction topics||Antiques, architecture and design, arts and crafts, collectibles, lifestyle, military history, militaria|
Schiffer Publishing Ltd. (also known as Schiffer Military History) is a family-owned publisher of nonfiction books. Based in Atglen, Pennsylvania, its coverage includes antiques, architecture and design, arts and crafts, collectibles, lifestyle, military history, and militaria. Schiffer's military imprint has been criticized by two American historians as providing a distorted portrayal of the German armed forces during World War II.
Schiffer Publishing has been described by American historians Ronald Smelser and Edward J. Davies in their 2006 work The Myth of the Eastern Front as one of the leading publishers of war romancing literature, second in North America only to the Canadian publisher J.J. Fedorowicz. According to Smelser and Davies, Schiffer provides a platform for authors who present an uncritical and ahistorical portrayal of the German war effort during the Soviet-German war of 1941–1945.
Schiffer has a strong focus on the German side of the conflict, with 204 titles in its 1996 military history catalogue being dedicated to the German war effort, out of a total of 234 titles. The catalogue described one of Schiffer's titles as the story of "the great aces" who "could not win, yet they fought to the final hour in an unforgettable combat saga".
Besides Schiffer Publishing, the principal imprints as of 2013[update] were:
- Schiffer Military History: military history, aviation, transportation, modeling, militaria, and related collectibles
- Whitford Press: paranormal activities and mind and spirit lifestyles
- Cornell Maritime Press: for personnel in marine businesses: texts for the Merchant Marine Academies, boating, water safety, maritime law, salvage, navigation, and regional maritime history
- Tidewater Publishers: life and history in the Chesapeake Bay region for children and adults
- Schiffer Fashion Press
- Smelser, Ronald; Davies, Edward J. (2008). The Myth of the Eastern Front: The Nazi-Soviet War in American Popular Culture. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-83365-3.