Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up schism in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A schism is a division between people, usually belonging to an organization, movement, or religious denomination.
Schism may also refer to:
- Christian schisms
- Meletian schism (4th century), a split involving the Patriarch of Antioch
- Nestorian Schism (431), a split between the Church in the Sassanid Empire and the Church in the Eastern Roman Empire, after the First Council of Ephesus
- Non-Chalcedonian Christianity (5th century), a split between the church in Armenia, Syria and Egypt and the church in Asia Minor, the Balkan peninsula and Italy
- Acacian schism (484–519), a split between the Eastern and Western Christian churches
- Schism of the Three Chapters (553–698), a split within the Roman Catholic Church
- Photian schism (863–867), a split between Eastern and Western Christianity
- East–West Schism, (11th century), a split between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church; sometimes called The Great Schism
- Western Schism (1378–1417), a split within the Roman Catholic Church
- Schism of 1552 (1552), a split within the Church of the East
- Protestant Reformation (16th century), a split between the Catholic Church and early Protestants
- Anglican Schism or English Reformation (16th century), a split between the Catholic Church and England
- Great Russian Schism (mid-17th century), a split between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Old Believers movement
- Nonjuring schism (1688), a split within the Anglican Churches of England, Scotland and Ireland
- Crotty Schism (early 19th century), two priests split from the Catholic Church in Ireland
- Bulgarian schism (1872), a split between the Orthodox Church and the Bulgarian Church
- Schism of Montaner (1967–1969), a Catholic parish split from its diocese in northern Italy
- Aglipayan schism, a group of Filipino nationalists split during the early 20th century
- Moscow–Constantinople schism (1996), the break of communion between the patriarchates of Moscow and Constantinople over the dispute concerning the canonical jurisdiction over Estonia.
- Moscow–Constantinople schism (2018), the break of communion between the patriarchates of Moscow and Constantinople over the dispute concerning the canonical jurisdiction over Ukraine.
- Muslim schism
- Ahmadiyya schism (1914), a split of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement. Commonly known among the Ahmadis as just "The Split".
- Jewish schisms, splits along cultural as well as religious bases
- Babi-Baha'i schism (1866), a split between the Bábís and the Bahá'ís
- National Schism (1910–1922), a political crisis in Greece
- Internationalist–defencist schism (1914), a split within European Socialist parties
- Muslim League schisms, splits within the Muslim League of Indian and Pakistan
- The Schism (1895), a split between rugby league and rugby union in England
- Australian rules football schism (1938–1949), a split between the Victorian Football League and the Victorian Football Association in Australia
Art & Entertainment
- "Schisms" (Star Trek: The Next Generation), 1992 television episode
- Schism (novel), 2004 work by Catherine Asaro
- "Schism" (song), a 2001 song by American rock band Tool
- Schism Records, a hardcore record label and fanzine operated out of New York in the 1980s
- Schizm: Mysterious Journey, a computer game
- Schisma, a musical term defining a ratio
- "Schism", a 1988 song by Anthrax from State of Euphoria
- "Schism", an enemy in the 2008 survival horror video game Silent Hill: Homecoming
- "X-Men: Schism", a 2011 X-Men storyline
- Schism, the original title for the 2013 film Fractured, by Adam Gierasch and Jace Anderson
- Semi-implicit Cross-scale Hydroscience Integrated System Model (SCHISM). an open-source ocean modeling system
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Schism.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.