Schleicher ASK 23
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Role||Club class sailplane|
|First flight||October 1983|
It was the last glider to be designed by Rudolf Kaiser. It is an early solo sailplane with docile handling, and it was a successor to the Schleicher Ka 8 and ASK 18. It is also the single-seater counterpart of the two-seater Schleicher ASK 21 with a similar cockpit layout. It uses glass-fibre reinforced plastic and 'honeycomb' as its main construction materials. It has no flaps, a nose wheel and a fixed main-wheel with a tail-skid or optional tail-wheel.
First flown in October 1983, the initial version allowed for heavy pilots, with a maximum cockpit weight of 140 kg (310 lb), reduced to 120 kg (260 lb) in the later ASK23B version. 51 planes of the original version were built and 102 of the 'B' version.
Data from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1988-89
- Crew: 1
- Length: 7.1 m (23 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 15 m (49 ft 3 in)
- Height: 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in)
- Wing area: 12.9 m2 (139 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 17.4
- Airfoil: root:Wortmann FX-61-168, tip:Wortmann FX-60-126
- Empty weight: 230 kg (507 lb)
- ASK23B: 235 kg (518 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 380 kg (838 lb)
- ASK23B: 360 kg (790 lb)
- Stall speed: 60 km/h (37 mph; 32 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn) in smooth air
- 148 km/h (80 kn; 92 mph) in rough air
- 148 km/h (80 kn; 92 mph) on aero-tow
- 125 km/h (67 kn; 78 mph) on winch launch
- g limits: +5.3 - 2.65
- Maximum glide ratio: 34 at 80 km/h (43 kn; 50 mph)
- Rate of sink: 0.62 m/s (122 ft/min) at 74 km/h (40 kn; 46 mph)
- Wing loading: 29.5 kg/m2 (6.0 lb/sq ft)
- ASK23B: 27.9 kg/m2 (5.7 lb/sq ft)
- Related lists
- Milgram, Fred Thomas; Judah; translator; contributor (1999). Fundamentals of sailplane design (3rd ed.). College Park, MD: College Park Press. ISBN 978-0966955309.
- Simons, Martin (2005). Sailplanes 1965-2000 (2nd revised ed.). Königswinter: EQIP Werbung und Verlag G.m.b.H. ISBN 978-3-9808838-1-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ASK 23.|