Schleicher Ka 6
|Ka 6 on display in the Deutsches Museum, Munich|
|Role||Club class glider|
|Manufacturer||Alexander Schleicher GmbH & Co|
|Number built||> 1000 (all variants)|
The Schleicher Ka 6 is a single-seat glider designed by Rudolf Kaiser, built by Alexander Schleicher GmbH & Co, Germany and is constructed of Spruce and plywood with fabric covering. The design initially featured a conventional tailplane and elevator which was later replaced by an all-moving tailplane in the -Pe and Ka 6E variants. Variants built before the -CR and -BR used a main skid as the principal undercarriage, with later variants including the Ka 6E using a wheel as the main undercarriage with no nose skid. Other modifications for the Ka 6E include a more aerodynamic fuselage with glassfibre nose and wingroot fairings, longer canopy, and modified aluminium airbrakes.
Dates of initial airworthiness approval in brackets:
- Ka 6 - Initial version; span 14.4 m (47 ft 3 in), (30 October 1956).
- Ka 6B (27 September 1957)
- Ka 6B-Pe - The Ka 6B with all-flying tailplane, (20 May 1960).
- Ka 6BR - The Ka 6B with the main skid removed and a relocated mainwheel, (27 September 1957).
- Ka 6CR - The Ka 6C with the main skid removed and a relocated mainwheel, (24 February 1959).
- Ka 6CR-Pe - The Ka 6CR with all-flying tailplane, (20 May 1960).
- Ka 6E The ultimate Ka-6, with all-flying tailplane, (29 July 1965)
Aircraft on display
Specifications (Ka 6E)
Data from 
- Crew: 1
- Length: 6.66 m (21 ft ft 10.25 in)
- Wingspan: 15 m (49 ft 2.5 in)
- Height: 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 12.4 m2 (135.5 ft2)
- Aspect ratio: 18.1
- Wing profile: Root: NACA 633-618 Mid: NACA 633-614 (with Wortmann leading edge modification)
- Empty weight: 190 kg (419 lb)
- Gross weight: 300 kg (661 lb)
- Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
- Maximum glide ratio: 32:1 at 80 km/h (50 mph)
- Rate of sink: 0.65 m/s (128 ft/min)
- Macfadyen, Tim. BGA Data sheet for Schleicher Ka-6, BR and CR (Rhönsegler). Leicester. British Gliding Association. 1 July 2003.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Schleicher Ka 6.|